best bandsaw blade for briar??

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
RadDavis

Re: best bandsaw blade for briar??

Post by RadDavis »

wmolaw wrote:
taharris wrote:It all really depends on what you want to do with your band saw.

I don't do much shaping on the band saw, so a very aggressive wider blade works just fine for me i.e., cuts through Briar like butter and lasts for ever.

If you want to do more shaping on the band saw then you want a less aggressive and thinner blade that will give you more control and better cornering.

On the other hand I can cut out any shape I need to with my set up. I just have to take more cuts with wider curves.

A 3-4 tph hook tooth blade will take a more aggressive cut, but it will also clear saw dust from the gullets faster and better. This means that you don't have to push as hard so you have more control and the blade stays cooler.

If you are trying to cut a thick piece of Briar with a fine toothed blade you will need to go very slow because the blade cuts a lot less aggressively and the saw dust does not clear from the gullets of the blade as quickly. The result is that if you are not careful you end up pushing too hard, the blade heats up and has more of a tendency to wander and to break. The up side is that you get a smoother cut and can do sharper corners.

It's all a matter of finding the right blade to give you the performance that you are looking for.

Todd
Hmmm, know what, I took your advice and you were 100% right, the 3-4 tpi blade cut like hell.

I will try a 10 tpi, 3/16 and see what that does. But I tend to agree with you, I don't shape all that much on the saw either.
The only shaping to be done on the band saw, IMO is cutting the profile of the shape after you've drawn it on the block.

Rad
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hey guys! guess what..going to see a 12 craftsmans on craigslist this morning! im sure ill take it for 125$
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

ok...picked up the 12 craftsman...ajust the speed to the higher one. now!! the blade must be dull!!! again just checking! it should cut like butter!! the blade is the standard looking teeth. so really what blade do i need! its to do straight profile cuts that all..

thanks
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I have one of those 3-4 tpi 3/8" Timberwolf blades on my 14" Rikon, and I'm pretty sure it would take the end off a swung baseball bat without noticing or slowing the speed of the swing... :shock:
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

really!!! well thats what i want! thanks
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Alan L wrote:I have one of those 3-4 tpi 3/8" Timberwolf blades on my 14" Rikon, and I'm pretty sure it would take the end off a swung baseball bat without noticing or slowing the speed of the swing... :shock:
Agreed. If you are not really going to be doing any shaping, or not much, the 1/2" blade of the same make and tpi really cuts like hell, and is the largest blade that saw can take, I believe.
Massis

Post by Massis »

A heads up for the other european pipemakers on here.

I tried getting my hands on Timber Wolf saws, but they were either not available in the size I needed them (2240mm), or the seller simply wouldn't ship to Europe (TimberWolf.com for example)

Thanks to some woodworkers at the dutch woodworker forums I found out about TuffSaws: http://tuffsaws.co.uk/

TuffSaws is a UK based bandsaw supplier with great service and pricing.
For my last saw I paid €25 ($30+) and it never really was good at sawing anything.
So I ordered 2 saws from TuffSaws, a "Sabre Cut" (super aggressive) and a "premium" one, both in 3/8" width, one in 3tpi, the other in 4 tpi. Both were shipped the same day and arrived the next working day.
Total price: €31 (38-40$) including shipping!

And these blades are SHARP! Where my old one took at least 30seconds to get through a medium briar block these will do it in 2-3 seconds. They need a lot less tension and they still scroll really well.
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Thanks for the info Massis.

I will look into their website right now!
Massis

Post by Massis »

let me know how you like them!

One of my fellow woodworkers at the dutch forum had them delivered by accident to his old home, where the new owners sent it back to the UK with a note "doesn't live here anymore".
Not only did the people at TuffSaws offer to pay half of the shipping for the second shipping, they also gave him a discount on a future order to compensate for his waiting, which was his own fault to begin with! That's what I call service... (and no, I don't own shares in TuffSaws :-P )
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Timberwolf 1/4" - 4tpi

This is what the Pro's use

Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies