New member from Idaho

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
GPipe

New member from Idaho

Post by GPipe »

Greetings everyone, my name is Brian. I felt I was ready to attempt to make my first pipe so I went looking for a website that details how to do this and found this forum.

I currently have 27 pipes in my collection since purchasing my first one, a Dr. Grabow, then upgrading to a Peterson, then on to Chacom, Ferndown, Dunhill, Matzhold, Jorgen L, Barbi, Joura, Ashton, Skovgaard, Bang (estate), Parks, H. Knudsen, and Larryson.

I've noticed the price of pipes increasing and I am not as willing to spend this kind of money. Besides, I have enough pipes to last a lifetime but I want more. I began to look at how much the raw materials cost and was pleasantly surprised. This is when I began to consider making my own pipe. Even if I fail, I have learned something and I am not out a lot of cash.

My pipe concept would be sized as a Dunhill group 6 straight billiard with a saddle bit, cross-grain, flatten one or both bowl sides to show the birdseye like a blowfish does, and sandblast one or both of the two remaining front and rear faces of the bowl. The shank would remain smooth. I have friends with drill presses and blasting stations where I can do some tasks, but the shaping will be done by hand in my garage.

So far I have two blocks of briar purchased from Tinsky, a 7/8 and 1-inch spade bit being ground down by a friend to make chamber bits, rasps, vice, sandpaper, hand saw, dremmel tool, and motivation to create my own pipe.

It may take a while, but wish me luck!

Thanks,
Brian
Sasquatch

Re: New member from Idaho

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome aboard Brian, and good luck with it. I think you'll have a lot of fun with this.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Welcome aboard brian.. and good luck.. just take your time...

james
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

jogilli wrote:Welcome aboard brian.. and good luck.. just take your time...

+1

First, welcome aboard!

I can't emphasis what James said enough! If you think it will take you 10 hours tack on twice that much and then 50% more just to be safe. The best pipes aren't rushed. Take a swipe with the file then sit back and contemplate. (maybe hyperbole but not by much! The thing to remember is to enjoy!)
andrew

Post by andrew »

Welcome from Coeur d' Alene!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Indeed! Welcome, and shape slowly. It helps a ton :oops:

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/