Yeti Pipe #21- The Admiral (A gift to my father)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Yeti Pipe #21- The Admiral (A gift to my father)

Post by jogilli »

like everyone else.. great pipe.. you father will be proud of that one..

my only critique is the mouthpiece could shine a bit more.. but it doesn't take anything away from the pipe itself...

james
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Yeah, I can't believe you didn't shine that stem better. :lol:

Very nicely shaped pipe. The only minor problem I see is a light gap at the top of the shank/stem join.

Rad
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I shined the shit outta that stem tyvm... it just doesn't show up very well in the photos. Seriously- we're talking a gallon of brown tripoli... :lol:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
andrew

Post by andrew »

That's a good looking pipe.

The gap issue could be a drying/shrinking thing. If the wood was not completely done moving before you glued it... it can move like that, pulling away from the junction.

***the accent wood, not the stummel***
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice work.

I deleted the profile photo that is a new record for size of photo posted. Feel free to re-add it adjusted to size to match the others. :D
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

andrew wrote:That's a good looking pipe.

The gap issue could be a drying/shrinking thing. If the wood was not completely done moving before you glued it... it can move like that, pulling away from the junction.

My best guess is the briar itself moved. I know the accent wood is stable. It's been drying for probably 30 years. It's genuine lignum vitae that my gma and gpa picked up when they were missionaries in Chile.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Sir -
That is a beautiful pipe. From design to execution I like everything about it. The contrast stain really pops and was perfect for the grain of the wood. The stem color was an excellent choice and complements the pipe color perfectly. I think your father will be proud of both you and his new pipe. Very nice gift.
Wallace
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
andrew wrote:That's a good looking pipe.

My best guess is the briar itself moved. I know the accent wood is stable. It's been drying for probably 30 years. It's genuine lignum vitae that my gma and gpa picked up when they were missionaries in Chile.
My experience has been that briar doesn't move in that way (one side at the top of the shank becoming shorter).

The most likely thing is that your mortise drill moved just enough before plunging that it wasn't exactly perpendicular to the face of the shank. This happens to me quite often.

It's very easily fixed with a right sized pin inserted snugly into the mortise and a refacing of the shank.

Rad