A new-to-me Lathe!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
smokindawg

A new-to-me Lathe!

Post by smokindawg »

I helped a friend move some of his shop equipment a couple days ago. While doing so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He had an extra lathe that he wanted to sell. It's this one http://m.grizzly.com/products/G9729 he has removed the mill as he said it was junk. He did install a bigger motor however and made a heavy steel stand. It needs a good cleaning but should make a great lathe especially if I want to drill a Canadian length pipe.

He included all the original tooling and added a live center and a 4 jaw chuck as well. The price was $300. It's a heavy one and I had to use my tractors front end loader to unload it. But definitely worth it. Now I have 2 good lathes in the stable.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
pipeguy

Re: A new-to-me Lathe!

Post by pipeguy »

Good show :fencing: I love friends with extra lathes, Its too bad you don't have the top a mill can be very handy, especially with stems.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Very nice, for that price I would have bitten his hand off! It is a shame about the mill, even if it was junk those combo lathe/mills are capable of ome good work and very unusual setups but still I wouldn't complain too much at the price.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I do have a new mill I purchased and set up a while back. It is great to have. So the missing mill isn't that big a deal.

Cleanup will have to wait now until I get back home, as I'm heading out for work.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Cory

Post by Cory »

Nice!
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis