Another DGE Bent Nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
dgerwin11

Another DGE Bent Nosewarmer

Post by dgerwin11 »

Hopefully I am learning something from y'all.ImageImageImageImageImage
UncleDraken

Re: Another DGE Bent Nosewarmer

Post by UncleDraken »

Very nice :)

Fellow learner here, so I'm not qualified to comment, but out of interest, what type of block did you use for this pipe?
I ordered my first blocks the other day which were extra extra ebauchon. Just wondering what sort of quality grain I should be expecting.

Looking forward to seeing more of yours in the future!
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

That was one I got from Tim West. But you never know what the grain will look like till you get in it. As new as I am at this, I don't buy expensive fancy blocks.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Hey, that's a sharp lighter you got there... reminds me of something I picked up in a ship's store once upon a time.

Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

I have been vocal about my preference for Carter Hall on Pipe Smokers Forum. Some of the guys sent me that for my birthday last year.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Definitely learning man!

If you look at the front face, the left side is lower than the right side(the bottom curve tells this) also I think the shank line should be smoother. It feels like it pinches then goes wide right at the bowl. Some file work'd fix that right up.

I'm still not sure what I think of the bottom curve- I like my lines to be more pulled together. HOWEVER I think you did something really well on the bottom curve- you kept it nice and continuous(think french curve) which is essential to pipe making. Perhaps you'd want that line to smoothly flow all the way to the rim though, you see how it cuts sharply at the bowl edge? a bit of filing and sandpaper'd fix that though.

Keep it up man! The virgin wood looks really nice on this one!

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
rijks

Post by rijks »

SchmidtN wrote:Hey, that's a sharp lighter you got there... reminds me of something I picked up in a ship's store once upon a time.

Is the sterm mat ?

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks