What is a tenon?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
flea1

What is a tenon?

Post by flea1 »

Hello,

I am new to pipe building and do not know what a tenon is. I am have the material to build a pipe...is there a book that I can pick up on pipe building?
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Welcome flea1!

The "tenon" is the part of the stem that fits into the "stummal". Here is a good diagram to get you started.
http://www.tobaccopiperestore.com/p2.htm

The only book I know of concerning pipe making is the PIMO book.

http://www.pimopipecraft.com/book.html

It is a very good start that is great to read but becomes useless very quickly after reading it. It is very basic, which is very helpful in the beginning, but it becomes too basic very quickly.
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Thanks for the info Brendhain...

I notice you are from Goteborg, Sweden....that is crazy! I was there the day before the war broke out last year. You live in a very beautiful country...not to mention beautiful women live there.

Thank you again

:D
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Flea1,

What do you think brought me here??

I met a 6 foot tall red-headed Swedish journalist while I was living in LA. That was all the incentive this Kentuckian needed to move here.

I traded that model in for a blondie, whom I married this past July.

Sweden is beautiful but the taxes are beyond the average 'merican's comprehension. We pay circa 32% income tax (on every bit of up 50,000 a year and 59% on everything above that) plus we pay 25% sales tax on almost everything. Sales tax on groceries is only 12%!!!!!

The overall tax base for the average person, including duties and all taxes, is 60%!!! I only work 8 and a half months out of the year(25 hours a week) but am paid full time for 12 months; therefore, I love living here! Plus, the women :!:
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Wow...I think my wife and I need to move to Sweden! I could definitely handle 25 hrs/wk. I bust my rump 40 hrs/wk and make peanuts. What line of work are you in and what brought you to Sweden? My dream would be to photograph Europe. I love the architecture and landscapes over there....even shooting pics of people would be awesome.

How long have you been making pipes?
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Flea1

I sent you a Personal Message as to your questions. I think that it would be a bit boring for everyone else to read. So, check your messages