Plugged

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
MilesW

Plugged

Post by MilesW »

Any suggestions how to get a stuck pipe cleaner out of the Stem. I have a Ridice that has an tappered cleaner stuck in the think with no way to grasp it as the ends of the cleaner where broke trying to get it out. It is a bent pipe so I can't get a straight shot it it. I tried to soften and straighten the thing but still no help. Any suggestions? I may have to send it off and have some one try their skills at repair and if that doesn't work make me a new stem.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Can you use the back end of a drill bit (the same size as the draught hole) to push the cleaner out into the tobacco chamber? Presumably you could then grabb it with some needle nose pliers.
mt

Post by mt »

HI Miles
You will have to have the stem almost completely straight
before you can attempt to get the cleaner out. There are many ways to do this. I use a torch and move briskly back and forth on both sides of the stem until stem is pliable and can be straightened. Usually takes about 3 mins depending on stem.

From there possibly you can push a small drill from the tenon side and dislodge enough to get a needle nose pliers on to the end and pull out.
Worst case scenario is to us that thin drill and drill out cleaner. Problem with this option is sometimes cleaner wire will push drill up into the stem and ruining it. But by the time you are trying this not much to lose MT
MikeStanley

plugged

Post by MikeStanley »

I would try soaking the offending stem in bleach. It'll disintegrate the pipe cleaner in a day.
Mike Stanley
Just be certain to coat any logo with vaseline or it'll eat that away too. Same goes for any metal fitments
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

mt wrote:HI Miles
You will have to have the stem almost completely straight
before you can attempt to get the cleaner out. There are many ways to do this. I use a torch and move briskly back and forth on both sides of the stem until stem is pliable and can be straightened. Usually takes about 3 mins depending on stem.

From there possibly you can push a small drill from the tenon side and dislodge enough to get a needle nose pliers on to the end and pull out.
Worst case scenario is to us that thin drill and drill out cleaner. Problem with this option is sometimes cleaner wire will push drill up into the stem and ruining it. But by the time you are trying this not much to lose MT
Hey Mark, good to see you post. Don't be a stranger!

:thumb:

Tyler