Ryobi 6" Bench Grinder

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Getzinator

Ryobi 6" Bench Grinder

Post by Getzinator »

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this bench grinder and used it for pipe related purposes? Picked it up over xmas, and I do believe I should be able to use it for waxing/buffering purposes. Not 100% on that yet though.

http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/produ ... der-145121
Mine is an older model without the lamp.

Also wondering if anyone with this has turned one side into a disc sander? I've seen other DIY's on motors and other grinders turned into a disc sander, but not sure if it would be applicable for this model.

Thanks for any help!
Charl

Re: Ryobi 6" Bench Grinder

Post by Charl »

I started off with a benchgrinder converted into a discsander. It is a bit too fast for detailed shaping, but I do still use it for rough shaping, with an 178mm 16 grit disc attached.
Careful of the fingers though!
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

That'll be a DIY project I'll have to undertake if I feel it necessary then. Otherwise I might just pick up a disc sander.
Any set of instructions you followed when you converted your own? Or did you just have the know-how to do it?
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

That grinder should be fine for shaping/sharpening turning tools.

Not practical at all for buffing and waxing. You'll need about half the speed, and you'll definately want the longer arbors of a buffer when you're trying to get at the back of the bowl and the top of the shank/bowl joint...
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

While that is not something I wanted to hear, I definitely appreciate your experience on that. I was hoping I could get away with using one "motor" to do all the things I need. Sounds like that was just a dream. At least for this inexpensive one.

PS- Those suede blasted pipes of yours look pretty snazzy.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

If you want to get away with 1 motor for buffing and sanding then go for something in the 1500rpm range.
DMI

Post by DMI »

I'm seriously considering a variable speed car polisher for my next setup, it's basically and angle grinder so all the pads etc are easy to find.

David.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Don't they make a hell off a noise though, David? Or are these more quiet than normal angle grinders?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

DMI wrote:I'm seriously considering a variable speed car polisher for my next setup, it's basically and angle grinder so all the pads etc are easy to find.

David.

Go with a cheap drill press, that's what I use. Plenty of power, easy speed change when you need it and the chuck means you can attach all manner of accessories.
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

caskwith wrote:Go with a cheap drill press, that's what I use. Plenty of power, easy speed change when you need it and the chuck means you can attach all manner of accessories.
You can use a drill press for buffing? That's a brilliant idea that I wouldn't have ever come accross.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip! I got one after listening to Chris. Got it from a guy for a bottle of Jack. I suppose it won't last forever, because of lying flat, but you get a decent motor and pulleys for cheap, as well as a Jacobs chuck.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I took mine, laid it flat and took out all the uneccessary bits, column, feed handle,spring etc. I also locked the spind in place and bolted the whole thing to the bench. This system has been running now for about 3 years with use several days a week and for long periods of time. I use it for all my sanding discs for shaping. No doubt it would also make a good buffer as well but this may be harder on the bearings. Anyway what I can say is that the value for money was excellent!
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I use drill press parts for almost everything. The slack sander was made from a drill press, the buffing and shaping motor was from a previous drill press. Those motors are awesome. The perfect speed.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

And you can get hold of it for cheap! :D