GP01 My first pipe REVISED

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Great Plains Piper

GP01 My first pipe REVISED

Post by Great Plains Piper »

So this is my first pipe. I'm a little proud of it but even my untrained eye can already see some things I can do better. Forgive the photos, My camera battery was dying and I was having some lighting issues. Trust me, I understand the quality of a good photo much more than a good pipe and the execution of the pics bothers me a lot more than the execution of the pipe. I was going for a sort of billiard-y style with a little outward flare in the bowl. I also wanted some nice contrast in the stain but also wanted the overall color to not match but sort of compliment the almost orange stem. Anyway, enough with my chatter, to the pictures!

After revision

EDIT: criticism hoped for and welcome
Last edited by Great Plains Piper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach
Charl

Re: GP01 My first pipe

Post by Charl »

Cool for a 1st. Now go and make 20 more.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Great start!

A couple things to improve on:
-Take more off the bottom line, it looks like it sags a bit, tightening that up will help the overall presentation.
-Where the shank and bowl meet, that junction could use a bit of trimming and definition.
-The cheeks of the bowl could also use a bit more definition- a round file followed by sandpaper does wonders here.

I think if you define the cheeks and transitions as I stated above, you'll have something along the lines of a straight shanked dublin, which would be cool.

Another note is the stem saddle should be brought closer to the briar shank- however, as this is your first pipe I wouldn't worry too much about that. Once you start cutting your own stems it'll be more pertinent.

As is, this is a great first pipe, I look forward to seeing more work from you!

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Another first pipe worthy of pride!

If ever there were a pipe contest where the makers could only submit the first pipe they ever made, surely mine would place last. Seems everybody's first pipe is better than mine was...
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Very nice first. I like the poem, too. Three thumbs up.
Great Plains Piper

So a few days ago I got to looking at this pipe again and re-read Yeti's points of criticism. I am currently waiting on a couple parts before I can go further on my next pipe and so I decided I wasn't going to let sleeping dogs lie and I made the hard decision to try to correct a few things and then refinish the pipe. In the end I hope this wasn't a complete rookie move but time will tell I guess. There were actually a couple of things that you couldn't make out in the pictures that bothered me as well, in the end I just couldn't resist. I suppose I'll post some 2.0 pictures when I'm finished (again).

-Johann Sebastian Bach
The Smoking Yeti

Great Plains Piper wrote:So a few days ago I got to looking at this pipe again and re-read Yeti's points of criticism. I am currently waiting on a couple parts before I can go further on my next pipe and so I decided I wasn't going to let sleeping dogs lie and I made the hard decision to try to correct a few things and then refinish the pipe. In the end I hope this wasn't a complete rookie move but time will tell I guess. There were actually a couple of things that you couldn't make out in the pictures that bothered me as well, in the end I just couldn't resist. I suppose I'll post some 2.0 pictures when I'm finished (again).
I look forward to seeing the changes! :D

Great Plains Piper

Re: GP01 My first pipe REVISED

You can see before and after in original post. (this post is just for people that use the "view latest post" button, I'm one of them)

-Johann Sebastian Bach
The Smoking Yeti

Lookin' good now!

The biggest thing I see, is the bottom of the bowl need a tetch more taken off, refine the curve on the front, and you gotcherself a winner!

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Way to stay with it, sir, I applaud your tenacity.