Gonna need a baby shield

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
scotties22

Gonna need a baby shield

Post by scotties22 »

Just had a nice looking piece of Italian briar on the lathe. Turned the shank, drilled the mortise/airway and tobacco chamber with no problems. Get into turning the bowl and kablammmmm..........I hit a flaw and about the top 1/2 inch of the bowl came flying off and sailed right past my hip. I didn't notice it when I drilled the chamber, but there was a pretty big crack that I had to have hit just right. Pretty exciting to say the least. Anyone know where I can get a cheap lead vest (ya know, like they use for x-rays) :lol: . Thinking it might be time to find something to stand behind for the next 3 months(ish). I have a few pieces of scrap plywood and some 2x4s. Think I'm gonna make a little shield to stand behind.

Some times it's no fun being a girl. Probably wouldn't have hurt if it had hit me, but I don't want to have to explain to my husband why the baby isn't smart one day.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
andrew

Re: Gonna need a baby shield

Post by andrew »

Baby shield is a good idea :)

I'd be more worried about a swift blow causing contractions than lowering IQ points :)
Massis

Post by Massis »

Darnd you, didn't I warn you to get a babyshield over 2 months ago?! :banghead: :filth-n-foul:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Massis, you aren't the only one. Needless to say....I'm what you call a little, uuhhhh, slow.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Buzz on down to one of the Army surplus stores there in KC an get yourself a genuine Vietnam era flak jacket. Or if you know any cops maybe they could lay hands on some current body armor. Do be careful otherwise the poor kid will wind up like Sas and drool all over the place. :lol:
Chas.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Sas drool goes for a lot on E bay. If you can't find the flack jacket, those pads they wear for bicycle off road racing work pretty good and are cheap and easy to run in. I respect all lathes, wood and metal. Turning a tenon with a chisel that bit in, sent it past my chest and into the door. Now I know what something is askew means. Safe turning.