lookin for billiard critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Re: lookin for billiard critique

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the issue here is that there are two define-able billiard variants - Danish and English. The posted pipe is drifting Danish, with the heaviest section of the bowl toward the bottom. Some very very good pipe makers make billiards this way, including Vollmer and Neilson.

The more English variant which is more vertical or if it's chubby it's chubby higher would indeed lead a guy to call the pipe a brandy.

It's not a Dunhill type billiard - it's far too heavily shaped for that, and proportioned just slightly incorrectly as has been gone through.

FWIW I agree totally with the three pipes AM posted as normative, and I think the pipes Uber posted are bad examples. Just my .02
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Re: lookin for billiard critique

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:I think the issue here is that there are two define-able billiard variants - Danish and English. The posted pipe is drifting Danish, with the heaviest section of the bowl toward the bottom. Some very very good pipe makers make billiards this way, including Vollmer and Neilson.

The more English variant which is more vertical or if it's chubby it's chubby higher would indeed lead a guy to call the pipe a brandy.

It's not a Dunhill type billiard - it's far too heavily shaped for that, and proportioned just slightly incorrectly as has been gone through.

FWIW I agree totally with the three pipes AM posted as normative, and I think the pipes Uber posted are bad examples. Just my .02
I think that's more than likely correct. :lol:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard