new pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sam a

new pipe

Post by sam a »

hello peoples... its been a while.

this is my latest, and i would love to hear any critiques, comments, tips, ideas, etc.

thanks.
N.Burnsworth

Re: new pipe

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Very nice Sam! I really like this shape combined with the the scoop look on the bowl top. Only thing I see that I would do differently is shorten the tenon a bit, and soften the edges on the button.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Looks fantastic! Because it is so small I think the thickness of the button could be shortened (not the clenchy part but the button from front to back). The button just looks massive on that pipe. Very elegant and organic design. I always enjoy seeing your work.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Horrible, just terrible.
I want to say its the worst pipe you've ever made, but its possible that its the worst thing that any person has ever made ever.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Cool shape, Sam. I think the stem is a bit rough, though. The fat flare doesn't appeal to me personally, but I think it could work if it were seated against the shank face. To my eye, the stem bends too abruptly and gets too thin too fast.

I agree about the button. If you taper your button inward toward your slot I think it'll help to lessen the effect that Jessie described.

Those are my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing it in person soon. Pics are always tough to see the details on.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice one! I agree with the other guys re the button. The flare in my opinion (which is not much!), would work better if sharper and concave on both sides.
Well done, in general!
sam a

Post by sam a »

thanks for the feedback guys. it helps.

and in hindsight i defiantly agree, the stem could use some refining for sure. thanks again for taking the time.
Leus

Post by Leus »

I like this pipe, if not because it reminds me of this one I made a couple of years ago:

I remember agonizing over the stem, and in the end I just gave up.