My First Briar Pipe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
T. Pollock

My First Briar Pipe

Post by T. Pollock »

My frist briar pipe. Made from a pre drilled block. It still needs a little work, but let me know what you think. I could use all the advice I can get. Constructive criticism welcomed! I want to learn. I'll try to get some better photos today, since I now know how to post a photo. I didn't try to sand out all the voids as I was afraid it would make the walls of the bowl too thin. I just let the briar be what it wanted to be. I can add photos of the process and tools I used if anyone would like to see them.
IMG_1144 by pollock9131, on Flickr
Thanks for looking,
Tim

PS. This is the first pipe I ever made. I made it for a machinist friend of mine and he wanted the bowl made out of aluminum not briar. I tried to talk him out of it, but being a machinist I think it was just the principal of it being all metal. He uses it for tobacco, not wacky weed!
IMG_1290_crop by pollock9131, on Flickr
phmann

Re: My First Briar Pipe

Post by phmann »

The briar one is much better than my first pipe!

Is it safe to smoke out of aluminum?
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
T. Pollock

Post by T. Pollock »

Thanks Manny,
I researched it and as far as I know it's safe. My friend that I made it for loves it. He smokes it all the time. I wouldn't have wanted one without a briar insert myself, but he insisted "No Wood". I wasn't happy with the finish on the briar pipe, so I redid it today. I don't have a photo booth or anything like that, but maybe the sun will be shining tomorrow and I can take some decent pics outside.
Tim
T. Pollock

Post by T. Pollock »

New photos of my first pipe. PLEASE comment and let me know what you think I could have done better or different. I want to learn badly, but I can't learn if no one critiques my work. This is the place for new pipe makers to learn from those with experience right? Please, Please, Please! :)
Tim
IMG_1193 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1187 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1186 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1183 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1182 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1181 by pollock9131, on Flickr
IMG_1180 by pollock9131, on Flickr
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I think the stummel looks great. Still trying to figure out why in the hell you put that stem in it though. :lol:

A poker is relatively easy to do on a metal lathe. Try a classic bent billiard next.
T. Pollock

Post by T. Pollock »

I didn't use my metal lathe on this one, although it would have been easier. I used my wood lathe. Especially with it being my first I wasn't sure what shape I would be able to make out of it until I started turning it down. I wish I could look at a block and tell what it could become like some of you guys, but maybe someday I'll be able to. I should have added a note about the stem i guess. :lol: The stem is what came with the pre drilled block that a friend gave me to make my first pipe with. I don't have any material for stems yet, so I didn't get to make my own. When I get some stem material I'll put a saddle bit in it. Definately got to research where to get briar and stem materials though, I've been bit by the pipe making bug. I really enjoyed making it! Thank you very much for the feedback!!!
Tim
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I must say I like the look of that metal pipe. It just screams 1930s automobile at me. Don't know how useful it would be for actual smoking, as I'm sure the metal would heat up quickly, but I'll bet it was a fun experiment.

As to the poker pipe, yeah, I wondered what was up with the bent stem. Straight would look better. What sort of finish did you use? Looks pretty glossy, maybe too glossy, but then it could just be the camera. I'm not a fan of film finishes, myself. Otherwise, the shape and proportions look good to my eye. I think you've got a lot of potential.

I'm new to this myself, so I defer to the experienced members on all this.
- Steve S.
T. Pollock

Post by T. Pollock »

Thank you very much Steve! I know its hard to believe but the metal pipe didn't smoke any hotter than any of my briar pipes. The grooves around the bowl may have acted like a radiator effect, not sure, but I was amazed at how cool it smoked. A Kersten pipe design is what inspired the design. I have a mint condition one from the late 30's. Of course it has a briar bowl though! The briar pipe was buffed with tripoli, then beeswax, then carnuba wax. It doesn't have a spray on finish. I sanded down to 1,000 grit before buffing and it's just that slick. I may have used too much wax, what do you think? It hasn't been smoked yet, so I'm sure with a little use the shine will mellow out some. Also I took the pictures outside with the sun shinning, which may have been a mistake. I can't seem to take a decent picture for nothing. :lol: I sure appreciate your comments! I hope I have some potential cause I sure enjoyed making it.
Thanks,
Tim
fastredx

Post by fastredx »

Ocelot55 wrote:I think the stummel looks great. Still trying to figure out why in the hell you put that stem in it though. :lol:
Yeah,me too!
PS-It's me Tim-- OS.
T. Pollock

Post by T. Pollock »

Your everywhere O.S. Good talking to you today buddy! Didn't get in till 1:30 so didn't get a chance to post the pics or video. I'll try tomorrow.
Tim