Tool rest on metal lathe...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

Tool rest on metal lathe...

Post by PipesByDesign »

Thinking of wood turning here. What do you guys do who don't have wood lathes and do all your work on your metal lathes?

I feel like I'm probably going to have to make something that will clamp onto the bed of my Logan 820. I'm not interested in having a whole lot of mobility on this thing since most work will take place over a relatively short length. In and out and up and down are the only movements it'd have to make.

Anyway, just curious what the other set ups are out there. Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks.
Jos

Re: Tool rest on metal lathe...

Post by Jos »

No photo, but it's all simple: I cut a 20 cm piece of a wooden broomstick, sanded one end to a square so that it would fit in my tool holder, and fixed it there. Works fine for me ...
Massis

Post by Massis »

nothing yet (no wood turning tools), but I plan on using a piece of round HSS in my V-block tool holder...
Charl

Post by Charl »

A piece of flat iron in the toolrest
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Massis wrote:nothing yet (no wood turning tools), but I plan on using a piece of round HSS in my V-block tool holder...
That's what I do on my Taig, works fine.