Jet Metal Lathe on eBay

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
ToddJohnson

Jet Metal Lathe on eBay

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hi All

Presently there is a Jet BD 920N metal lathe on eBay, complete with stand for $700. I wouldn't bother bidding on it, I would just buy it. Otherwise, it will certainly get above the $700 BIN price. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 86418&rd=1

I have two of these and they are excellent. You can probably get it crated and shipped for about $100. With the stand and everything, I believe these are up around $1200-$1400 now. He mentions having misplaced the drive belt which, if you don't know where to look, are impossible to find. If anybody buys it, please just e-mail and I'll give you a part number for the belt and an 800 number to find out where you can get one.

For pipemaking, this is just about the best lathe for the money, period. And you're not going to beat a deal like this one. I wish I were able to find something like this when I was looking.

Best,

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I wish I had already saved up the money... this looks like a great deal.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Todd,

What is the difference between the Jet and the ones from Enco, Harbor Freight, etc.?

I know there is a difference, because I have an Enco that I bought used, and I recently got a backing plate from Little Machine Shop for a new chuck that I got. They told me the only 9 x 20 that the plate wouldn't fit was the Jet.

My Enco loooks exactly like the pics of the Jet, down to the drive pulleys and gears.

Do you know what they do different?

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:Hi Todd,

What is the difference between the Jet and the ones from Enco, Harbor Freight, etc.?

I know there is a difference, because I have an Enco that I bought used, and I recently got a backing plate from Little Machine Shop for a new chuck that I got. They told me the only 9 x 20 that the plate wouldn't fit was the Jet.

My Enco loooks exactly like the pics of the Jet, down to the drive pulleys and gears.

Do you know what they do different?

Rad
Yes, I know they're actually built in different factories. Not to mention that the level of construction is strikingly different. I have one of the Grizzly/Harbor Freight models as well, and they are built to very similar specs. The difference is just in general overall quality. There are also some other minor differences, like the height of the tool post (and therefore the size of the tool accepted), the type of belts used, the material that the pulleys are made from (pot metal vs. aluminum), etc. It's sort of like the difference between a mid-size Kia sedan and a Honda Accord I guess.

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I guessed it was something like that. I guess the cheaper models are a knockoff of the Jet.

My Enco also sounded like it wanted to explode for a while, but I saw that the motor pulley had slipped it's key and had a bit of a wobble to it. I got a new pulley from Grizzly (along with a new motor which had burned up), and it runs much quieter. You might check that on yours.

BTW, someone has placed a bid, and "Buy It Now" looks like it's no longer an option.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

You're damn straight that a bid has been placed. I high-tailed it straight to ebay to BIN. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with it anyway. :dunno: :wink:

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Good Luck, Jeff!!

Rad