#3, Rusticated Pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ajpl

#3, Rusticated Pot

Post by ajpl »

I ended up with a pair of pipe kits with 15/16" bowl diameters, so my quest for a decent billiard is going to be interrupted by a pair of pots. Here's the first one.

This was also my first attempt at rustication. I got a little aggressive here, as seen in a) the nicks along the bowl rim, b) the gouge on the stem-shank junction, and c) the big gouge on the bottom of the shank.

Any comments and criticism are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Also, a quick question: I ended up sanding the shank and the bottom half of the pipe all the way to 600 before rusticating. I was worried about the stem-shank juncture staying flush as I sanded the stem, and then I was worried about keeping the line along the bottom of the stummel consistent from shank to bowl. Does everyone else do that? It seems like a bit of a waste of time to sand half the pipe and then rusticate it, but I'm not sure if there's a way around it.
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
WCannoy

Re: #3, Rusticated Pot

Post by WCannoy »

ajpl wrote:This was also my first attempt at rustication. I got a little aggressive here, as seen in a) the nicks along the bowl rim, b) the gouge on the stem-shank junction, and c) the big gouge on the bottom of the shank.

d) The band-aid on your finger...? :wink:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

WCannoy wrote:
ajpl wrote:This was also my first attempt at rustication. I got a little aggressive here, as seen in a) the nicks along the bowl rim, b) the gouge on the stem-shank junction, and c) the big gouge on the bottom of the shank.

ahahah :lol: Walt, i was just going to inquire about that as well. very tell tale of a rustication job. if you ever see my shop jeans, the knees are absolutely torn up from the dremel bit hitting my pants.

nice pot! the quest rages on!!!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wisemanpipes wrote: very tell tale of a rustication job.
Been there myself... many, many times!!!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I did a little rustication on some pipes I had laying around before I started making my own. Rusticated the hell out of my left hand. Stopped rusticating.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

wisemanpipes wrote:you ever see my shop jeans, the knees are absolutely torn up from the dremel bit hitting my pants.

nice pot! the quest rages on!!!
When using the burrs in the Dremel or Wecheer I wear a leather welders apron and a leather glove on my work object holding hand. The leather gets cut before me or my clothes, it gives me that split second to back off before I get hurt. So far after years of wood carving I haven't made a trip to the emergency room for stitches.

Nice pipe.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

No gloves no injuries- I just man up and don't cry.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

WCannoy wrote:
:lol: Yes, naturally. Bled like a bitch, too, so I stained the pipe with it.
Drew
the rev

Post by the rev »

When we were fight training and someone go opened up... a little alcohol and superglue it shut, if it was really bad a buttefly to hold it closed until the glue set. ER is just too much time and energy :)

I really like the rustication did you use the stab and twist?

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

I really like the rustication did you use the stab and twist?
Thanks! I did. I originally wanted to play around with my rotary tool but I ran into some problems (there's a thread about it over in Finishing Techniques), so I cut a phillips screwdriver into a four-pronged stabby thing and used that.
Drew
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

ajpl wrote:
:lol: Yes, naturally. Bled like a bitch, too, so I stained the pipe with it.

I knew that hue looked familiar! :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool rustication