I'll tell ya what...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

I'll tell ya what...

Post by billiard »

If y'all will ignore the ugly line around the chamber I won't tell you about the ugly line around the tenon ok?

A Shorter Smoke

Length: 5 and 1/8"
Height: 1 and 1/4"
Chamber: Conical from 7/8" down to a little one
Weight : 25g or .9 oz
Italian briar block
Hand Cut Cumberland Stem

Ocelot55

Re: I'll tell ya what...

Post by Ocelot55 »

Boy that's nice grain!

I think the bowl is too short for the shank length though. Great job finishing that one. Very nice straight grain.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Ocelot55 wrote:I think the bowl is too short for the shank length though
It was a design choice, I wanted a short opening bowl like that and if I had matched the shank length to bowl height, then stem length to stummel length, I would have had a miniscule pipe... or would have heard that the stem was too long if I added the length in there. So this is what I went with, it might not be "correct" but it is what I wanted (at least on that part of this pipe).

Now that said:
Ocelot55 wrote:Boy that's nice grain! ... Great job finishing that one. Very nice straight grain.
Stop making fun of my rustication you jerk!! ;)
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Bill, this is my style of pipe. i got a thing for squatness. beauty grain as jesse said and very symmetrical.
FWIW i think the bowl to shank ratio looks good to me but isnt for everyone
-evan
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Evan!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The button could use a weightloss program- but the overall aesthetic is pretty nice, I like the grain. Possibly the back line of the bowl flares too much- it's at odds with the hard straight line of the front.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thank ya.
The Smoking Yeti wrote:The button could use a weightloss program
Two things on that:
1) on small pipes the buttons tend to look big
2) your still correct ;)
The Smoking Yeti wrote:Possibly the back line of the bowl flares too much- it's at odds with the hard straight line of the front.
Yep, I saw that and agree with it too. At some point along the way I called it good enough because if I didn't stop messing with it I would be running out of briar all together.

This was a suprisingly challenging pipe (at least for me, we all have different skillsets) and I think I might go to some comfort food and make another rustic apple next time I get shop time :lol: