"9438"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

"9438"

Post by billiard »

As I go to post this it occurs to me that there are very few shapes you can specify simply with a number yet have everyone know what you mean. Even using something as simple and well known as the name "billiard" or "apple" can lead to confusion. Is the billiard in question an English inspired Billiard or an Italian one? Even if that is said there are other things to consider, e.g. I have some very old, very well respected brands of British pipes that if I were to post a clone of on this forum; someone or other would say they think it is out of proportion because. e.g. the shank is too long or short, etc..

However there are a couple of pipes when simply numbers will do, for example say "55" and we all know it's to be a Castello 55 shape or derivative. Likewise with the 9438. GBD's fat Rhodie. A small change to a typical Rhodie and it's it's own iconic shape.

On this 9438 most of my other "numbers" are pretty close, same overall length, bend, shank length, stem length, even my button is very similar to GBD's 9438, however my bowl is a little thicker and wider from rings down on this pipe as I intended to use what one might call "thick" rustication. In retrospect I could have ground a custom spade to drill the chamber and then kept the external dimensions precise but I am happy with the choice I made.

Anyhow here is what I guess you would call my take on the GBD 9438, well one of my takes as I would like to make a smooth version some day when I see the right block for it.

Length: 5 and 3/8"
Height: 1 and 3/4"
Chamber: .75" X 1 and 1/2"
Width:1 and 3/4" max at rings.
Weight : 2.1 oz
Italian Briar block
Hand Cut German Ebonite Stem
Faux Ivory

Left Side

Right Side

Front Side

Top Side

Now here is a close up look at the finish:

Let's look even closer:

Let's look even closer:

Now let's peek inside:

It's too dark to see much, let's turn on a light and see what's going on deep inside here:

Alright, I gotta get back to my job but feel free to let me know what you think... as I don't think I could stop some of you anyhow :D

Bill
andrew

Re: "9438"

Post by andrew »

That's a great pipe Bill. Your craftsmanship has not plateaued. It's gnarly, but very clean.
billiard

Post by billiard »

andrew wrote:That's a great pipe Bill. It's gnarly, but very clean.
Thanks much Andrew, I appreciate it.

andrew wrote:Your craftsmanship has not plateaued.
I'm most definitely still on the ramp up the learning curve but more than anything I am still in the "tooling up" process. Things like sand blasters are way outside of my budget right now but I am quite happy to say I just ordered me a new chuck and jaws, this pipe and past few have been with the stock jaws of the Jet 9X20. With the new jaws and some hard work making\selling pipes I hope to fix the broken glass window, the broken door, and even maybe add some insulation to the shop before winter next year. Been cold as heck in the shop this past winter, the little heater doesn't do much when the wind blows through... of course I can only have it on when everything else is off or I trip the breaker... but what the hey, I am still making pipes! :)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Dude! You need to spray your shop quick! You've got a serious termite problem! :lol:
Gnarly.
Chas.
billiard

Post by billiard »

oklahoma red wrote:You've got a serious termite problem!
Wait, you can see them too Chas? Heck I thought they were just in my mind, well, so long as they keep outta my cider I'll quit trying to stomp on em I reckon!
the rev

Post by the rev »

that pipe is bad ass

and thanks for the Tom, it always goes down like cheap bourbon :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
billiard

Post by billiard »

the rev wrote:that pipe is bad ass

and thanks for the Tom, it always goes down like cheap bourbon :)

rev
Thanks much Rev!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Pic #4 down. Is that SAS in the stem???
billiard

Post by billiard »

pipedreamer wrote:Pic #4 down. Is that SAS in the stem???
That would indeed be. I thought it was a nice partly cloudy day here in the Puget Sound so I went into the yard to take some pictures of this pipe. Turned out it was the deadly Cirrus-Sasquatch cloud that had came in from the north! Soon as I let my guard down it was BAM and a pipe hit me right in the back of my head!

PS - also a little white diamond there in the corner ;)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It reminds me of a cliffside where you see swallows nesting in sandy holes... it's cool.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Love the pipe and really love Tom Waits' music!