Bought a Jet 1014

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Spillproof

Bought a Jet 1014

Post by Spillproof »

Thanks to PMF I made an educated purchase and am happy with my first baby-step towards being a grown-up pipe-maker someday.
So far I've done everything with a drill-press, a benchtop sander, and a sanding wheel.

Next up; Chucks and a just a "couple" other things ;-)

What good is money anyway when all you really need is more stuff?
Thanks folks.
billiard

Re: Bought a Jet 1014

Post by billiard »

Congrats, Jet makes a nice mini-lathe. I got the same one sitting here and it worked well for a spell, at some point the pull of the Jet 9X20 took me over (the cross slide and all that).

Now though you are gonna need the chuck, the adaptor to make the chuck fit on the lathe, and proper jaws to hold your block (the stock jaws for the right chuck hold the rods fine). Everyone is different but for me every nickel hurts so if your stuck I will loan ya mine. If ya got the money then go buy them new cause I am gonna want mine back after a few months because it gives me options. However they could hold you till you buy your own (hopefully with money ya make selling pipes). Right now those parts for the mini-lathe are sitting on the shelf though cause I use the bigger lathe. Sp PM me if ya need 'em and if ya don't need 'em well just congrats on the new lathe then.

PS - Gotta cut my lawn, then take son to baseball, so won't be back online till the morrow.
Spillproof

Post by Spillproof »

billiard wrote:Congrats, Jet makes a nice mini-lathe. I got the same one sitting here and it worked well for a spell, at some point the pull of the Jet 9X20 took me over (the cross slide and all that).

Now though you are gonna need the chuck, the adaptor to make the chuck fit on the lathe, and proper jaws to hold your block (the stock jaws for the right chuck hold the rods fine). Everyone is different but for me every nickel hurts so if your stuck I will loan ya mine. If ya got the money then go buy them new cause I am gonna want mine back after a few months because it gives me options. However they could hold you till you buy your own (hopefully with money ya make selling pipes). Right now those parts for the mini-lathe are sitting on the shelf though cause I use the bigger lathe. Sp PM me if ya need 'em and if ya don't need 'em well just congrats on the new lathe then.

PS - Gotta cut my lawn, then take son to baseball, so won't be back online till the morrow.
Mighty generous of you Billiard. I'm not quite broke but I'm badly bent.
I think I have a line on everything I need from another member who has since graduated to a big-ol' metal-lathe.
I truly appreciate the offer, thank you.

Dave
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice! Congrats!

I used similar for ten years. I think you'll love it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sweet stuff Dude!