12-13 Dublin semi-warden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

12-13 Dublin semi-warden

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well, I'm not going to include a lot of photos of this one. First, because my photography sux, second because I didn't get too many "non-glamour" shots suitable for critique.

Let me know what you guys think. Seriously. I am not getting the kind of feedback I used to. I don't know if that means my pipes are bad or if they are just so mediocre there isn't much to comment on. Both bad.

the rev

Re: 12-13 Dublin semi-warden

Post by the rev »

I don't comment because I don't know shit from shinola

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

the rev wrote:I don't comment because I don't know shit from shinola

rev
:lol: I can sympathize!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I'll toss out a penny's worth of thought.

I think it's good stuff, there are a couple details which could use some cleaning up however.

The cheeks of the bowl don't look like they're shaped quite right, looking at the profile shot they feel a bit contrived, like they don't flow with the rest of the lovely curves. I think that's what throws this otherwise lovely design off.

The last detail is in the stem work, the button could use some weightloss, and the bit also looks a bit thick. The stem bend looks pretty nice- which is always a pain with churchwardens.

I hope this helps :D

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the critique Yeti. I think I see what you're talking about. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, but it does look like the transition between the shank and the bowl occurs a little farther back that it should. There is a sort of crease in the shank that happens before the shank should meet the bowl. And the button probably could be shorter and softened a bit.

Why is it that I never notice these things until the pipe is done! :banghead:
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I like it, but then I'm partial to churchwardens. I see what you mean about the stem-bowl transition, but it's pretty darn minor. The whole shape is pretty graceful.
- Steve S.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You don't notice because you love what you are doing. I loved the lines and the bit is fine for many. I like pipes like women, a little fuller but with graceful curves. You did it. Very nice.