first bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sam a

first bamboo

Post by sam a »

so i broke the shank on this guy and decided it was time to try my hand at a bamboo shank. i had issue facing the shank so there is a bit of a gap. and i swear the piece of ebonite between the stummel and the bamboo was half that size before i epoxied it on :lol: anyhow please let me know what you think, and what i might do to make it mo' better.

MonsieurLabo

Re: first bamboo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Great job! :thumbsup: I like it.
Michael Labo
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sam I think the only spot that "didn't work" is as you noticed, the bamboo to briar transition - it's too long, the curve kinda gets screwed up, and the ebonite piece is indeed too big (in fact that might be the only problem - if that's smaller the other stuff kind of goes away).

But the curve on the bamboo works great with the bowl shape, I think you nailed the transition from bamboo to stem. The stem itself might be a bit long - it was suggested to me the other day that the stem should be about the same length as the bamboo segments (more to follow) and I didn't agree on my own pipe I don't think, but I think here it might work.

No hijack here but I just finished a really little bamboo billiard, and I focused strongly on two things - cutting the bamboo where I had enough space to make a tenon, and getting the overall length of the pipe to be exactly what I wanted (to keep billiard proportions). The result is that I did a bunch of the same stuff you did - got too much space between the first knuckle and the bowl, and possibly made the stem too long.

And like you, I'd swear that stuff changed size and shape after coming into contact with the epoxy. It's maybe something that requires further research.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Nice save. :clap:

I don't like the look of bamboo much, myself, but this one works pretty well.
- Steve S.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sam, I agree with Sas. Aside from the transition from bamboo to briar, that's a nice pipe and cool design.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

To Sam;
Horrible, just terrible. Worst thing ever.

To Sasquatch;
WTF Homie ? Bamboo ? What next, Polyester stemmed reverse blowbashes ? You changed man, you changed.
sam a

Post by sam a »

thanks for the comments gents, it's always helpful to get some feedback. and i'm gonna have to try the stem length = bamboo segment deal next time, thanks for the tip sas.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Hooray! It lives! :clap:

I agree with everything that's been said, but I'll also say: for your first bamboo, and for saving this piece, I think you did a sweet job on it.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Really good job. I'm not a bamboo fan, not because of the way it looks, I think it looks great. But every one I have draws like crap. don't know why, I have three or four of them and they all draw terribly, which results in my not smoking them, but they look beautiful!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sweet stuff Sam!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

for the first bamboo this is a very nice pipe... :) like it..
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Good one