name that tool...?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

name that tool...?

Post by bscofield »

at the end of this page the pipe maker is using a strange looking tool to hold his pipe on... it replaces a dowel rod, it appears. Anyone know what it is? Look at the last series of pics:

http://www.pfeifenwilhelm.de/feilen.htm
JMB

Post by JMB »

Looks like some kind of "reamer" which expands in & out by twisting the end. Not a bad idea "if" you can get it tight enough. Might mark the inside of the bowl if not tight.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

But if you coat the inside of the bowl it's not an issue...

I'd love an alternative to my dowel rods....
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random wrote:
bscofield wrote:I'd love an alternative to my dowel rods....
I have a quite workable alternative. It's calld a "hand".
I imagine you don't strip sand, do you?

And NO it has nothing to do with you the state of your clothes :P
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Ben, I've been thinking of how I can make a similar tool. I know what a pain in the ass it is to strip sand and have the stummel turning on the dowel. I've been meaning to go to lowes and look through their specialty hardware section for parts to make such a device. When and if I manage to fabricate something, I'll pass the details on.

Chadd
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Chadd,

I would be very interested to see the details, also! I have seen marks inside of bowls of some "high end" pipes that look like the maker used a similar tool. Unfortunately, it was many years ago and I can't remember the makers. The marks were impressions from three (assumably, metalic) pads with raised diamond grid work. The grid dug into the inside walls of the bowl. It seemed to be a very solid hold because the marks were very clean and only impression was left.

I have never seen such a tool but would be very interested one.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Damn! That looks just like one of the old "Klean and Reams." This was, is, and old reamer that had three "jaws" - for lack of a better term - that expanded to fit any size bowl. I have one at home and it does a great job at reaming. Slap some leather on those jaws and I bet it'd hold a pipe breat without making the bowl.

Gotta run
JMB

Post by JMB »

"Klean and Reams.

New I had seen it before, couldn't put a name with it. Thanks Nick. Your one Cool Daddy O
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Well here's what I have in mind. Tightening the screw forces the robber drum to expand...just like the Dremel drum. The metal tube could perhaps be a drilled dowel, and I'm sure everyone would have there own preference of length ect...the shank would have to be long enough to fit in the vice with the tightening screw(the butterfly screw was just an idea) easily adjusted.

Just an idea...Image

Chadd
JMB

Post by JMB »

Chadd, I have a set of sanding drums that look like that and Tighten like that also. When & If the rain every stops here in Central TX I will get out in the shop & take a look. If it works I will post pic's & info.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

The tool that Gerhard is using is none of the above.

He is using an expansion bolt...at least that is what we call it in cycling. The old style bicycle stems were held on in two different ways. One was with a sliding expansion bolt...kind of hard to explain. The other was a plain expansion bolt. At the top end there is a nut that has been ground down into the shape of a funnel. The small end of the funnel goes into a metal tube that has slits cut down it. Or, free floating metal plates can be used also. When the bolt is turned the funnel shapped nut pushes out the the tube or plates, thus expanding. To protect the inside of the bowl a rubber band, or a racing bikes intertube, is placed around the tube or plates. I will get some pics up later today to better explain it.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

I'd like to see that design Brendhain. I think by using a soft rubber drum to grip the walls, you wouldn't need to worry about any metal parts digging in. I'm going to make one this weekend for holding 3/4" stummels.

Chadd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Really cool ideas guys. The tool Bren is describing sounds just like the Klean and Ream. Same tapered head pushing out the plates and everything. I really like your idea too Chadd! It sounds like somthing like that would be much easier to clamp in a vice that the old Klean and Ream tool.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I looked up expansion bolt on google and came up with this:

Now all I need to do is find a place to buy one. It looks like they are used to anchor stadium seats and such into concrete.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

If someone could be so kind as to tell me how to put pictures up on the forum then I will put up some showing exactly how the thing is made. :dunno:

Sorry for playing the part of the village idiot! :cry:
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

This is how I do it

First you have to have the photo posted on the internet somewhere (the gallery here in the forum for instance).

1. Right click on the photo you would like to post and then click "properties" this will show a web address for the photo.

2. Highlight the web adress and then copy it. (I press Control + Insert)

3. Come back here to your message you wish to post and click the Img tab at the top.

4. Paste the web address to the photo in your message. (I press Shift + Insert)

5. Click the Img tab again

I believe you can also simply paste the web address for your photo in your message and then highlight it and press the Img tab up top while it is highlighted.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Thank you ArtGuy, for the good instructions!

Above: this is the original. I contacted the place in Germany but they will only sell 60 of these minimum, and after tax price is 1200 dollars or so for the 60. They gave me info to a place in Munich where I might be able to buy a few of them instead of 60. I will try to talk to them in the next few days/weeks.

The next photos are of a HomeMade version. Very straight forward device and cheap to make.

Notice that there is a washer missing ( one should be in the middle where there is a gap). Three metal plates (identified as "2") must fit inside the central washer but the central washer must be narrower than the metal tube ( between the two washers). This will catch the plates and hold one end while the other end is allowed to expand.