How does a new pipemaker get their work out?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
rileysd1979

How does a new pipemaker get their work out?

Post by rileysd1979 »

I love finding new pipemakers, viewing their work, and finding out what pipes they have for sale.

I usually just randomly find pipemakers I've never heard of through a Google search or if someone mentions a name in a forum I'll look them up.
How do new pipemaker's get their work out for the world to see? Seems like Smokingpipes.com and the well-known websites only carry the name brand makers.
An unestablished pipemaker doesn't have the capacity or dollars to advertise and market their website.

Do you guys know of any websites that carry the lesser known and up-and-coming pipemakers?

Thanks.
Scott
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: How does a new pipemaker get their work out?

Post by jogilli »

That's really a good question... Wondered the same thing myself... More than once...

My way... I post on various forums when something is finished... IF it sells quick it's usually within a day.. Maximum two.. After that its mine for a while until somebody chances across my site and picks it up... I think the best way to get 'out' there is to attend shows so people can see and touch your work..

Those that have bought my pipes have been happy with their purchases and some come back and order a commission or pick something up off the website.. It's not easy and there are many many good carvers out there... Just make consistent and comfortable mouthpieces... Focus on the classic designs and improve your craft... A good billiard will always sale.. Don't go the freehand route until you understand the basics.. Nothing is uglier than a crappy freehand

James
d.huber

Re: Re: How does a new pipemaker get their work out?

Post by d.huber »

jogilli wrote:That's really a good question... Wondered the same thing myself... More than once...

My way... I post on various forums when something is finished... IF it sells quick it's usually within a day.. Maximum two.. After that its mine for a while until somebody chances across my site and picks it up... I think the best way to get 'out' there is to attend shows so people can see and touch your work..

Those that have bought my pipes have been happy with their purchases and some come back and order a commission or pick something up off the website.. It's not easy and there are many many good carvers out there... Just make consistent and comfortable mouthpieces... Focus on the classic designs and improve your craft... A good billiard will always sale.. Don't go the freehand route until you understand the basics.. Nothing is uglier than a crappy freehand

James
True that.

I just plaster the internet every time I finish a pipe.

A good place to see new makers links: www.tobaccopipecollectors.com

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

In the Age of the Internet, legit talent cannot be kept secret. In ANY field, not just pipemaking.

Check out this small-budget, home-brewed music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPwRdVg5Ug

Do you think they had any trouble getting signed after that? :lol:

Record companies don't even have A&R guys, anymore. The talent finds them.

In fact, if someone is really, really good at something, he doesn't even need a web presence. Fan info gets shared at lightspeed and demand follows, fueled by the consumers themselves.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
rileysd1979

Post by rileysd1979 »

James - awesome pipes! Love the site too. Which websites do you post to when you have a new pipe ready to sell?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think there's a number of answers here.

Brand new pipe makers give a lot of stuff away, sell to friends or family, start selling at pretty low rates to people they've met in real life or on forums.

Slightly more established makers might have a website, might haunt forums or shows, might haunt a place like this. But searching for "who makes a good pipe that no one has heard of" on google is not going to yield much. Word of mouth goes a lot farther.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Sasquatch wrote:
Brand new pipe makers give a lot of stuff away, sell to friends or family, start selling at pretty low rates to people they've met in real life or on forums. .
How true... My friends and family got the first year or so given to them....some sold for $50 just to buy supplies....which forums. Really all the pipe related forums I can find and want to participate in... Normally I just stalk Sas and post where he does :shock:

James
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

If you are looking for a website with the best up-and-comers you should check out www.thepipeguys.com. :twisted:

Shameless. Absolutely shameless.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

wdteipen wrote:If you are looking for a website with the best up-and-comers you should check out http://www.thepipeguys.com. :twisted:

Shameless. Absolutely shameless.
You beat me to it :lol:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

You can also try Ebay and Etsy as venues to sell until you get your name out there enough that people will hunt you down. Forums like this one where you can post a link to your website will help you as well.
As for me, my work isn't good enough yet to worry about selling anything.
Rodney
billiard

Post by billiard »

Hi Scott,

Keep in mind that many of us, though not reflected demographically by this forum, make pipes simply because we love smoking and making pipes. As such we are not worried at all of being found, or making the top dollar, so literally do no marketing or advertising.

Think of it this way, I'm 46 and live in the Puget Sound. Many guys my age, here, have a fishing boat and like to go catch a fish now and again. I don't have a boat but I have a metal lathe and like to make a pipe now and again.

Unless something were to change with my job or family (and I hope neither change) I will probably only have time to make 30 pipes in the next year. I haven't counted but there is probably triple that number on my email list right now, almost all found me simply by word of mouth. Make a great smoking pipe and ask a fair price and the pipes sell themselves.

I doubt if the above helps you at all in your search so as a suggestion I would say: take a look in the Gallery here on this forum, ignore the comments and replies in most cases and just take a look through the pipes to see if there is a carver who's personal aesthetic choices resonate with your own.

Thanks,
Bill
sam a

Post by sam a »

typically i do push ups and sit ups, and try to grab the dumbbells a few times a week. i hate cardio though.
Alden

Post by Alden »

sam a wrote:typically i do push ups and sit ups, and try to grab the dumbbells a few times a week. i hate cardio though.
:lol:
d.huber

Re: Re: How does a new pipemaker get their work out?

Post by d.huber »

sam a wrote:typically i do push ups and sit ups, and try to grab the dumbbells a few times a week. i hate cardio though.
:lol: I see what you did there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
phmann

Post by phmann »

I am a new pipemakers and I think my work sucks, but I've been busy with commissions for friends and family for awhile (bless their hearts). Like what Sas was saying. Also I always try and exceed their expectations; make a pipe worth more than what they're paying - it will get the word out there faster, you'll have returning customers, and you're work will improve much faster.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com