Hatfield

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Hatfield

Post by Alden »

oklahoma red

Re: Hatfield

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice.
I'm still making and selling these Hatfield replicas too.
Alas, I've yet to see a clear shot of the stem. I fiddled around with all sorts of stem and button combinations and finally said screw it and settled on a conventional button on a very slim stem and shank.
I may be wrong but the movie was filmed in Romania and I think they picked up the pipe there. Otherwise, someone would have surely stepped into the limelight by now.
This a link that shows a few of the ones I've done lately along with some other odds and ends. http://redrockbriar.imgur.com/all/
Chas.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Love it, Ryan. Nicely done.

Button looks a little thick. Accurate, but thick.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Are those soft tip .30-30? I got an old as sin Winchester 1894 in .25-35

Nice pipe too :wink:
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The "time machine" historical accuracy vibe is cool, but you've gotta go all in to make it work. Namely, the 30-30 cartridge wasn't invented until after the H-M feud ended, and while jacketed bullets had been (barely), they weren't commonly available until after WWI.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Alden

Post by Alden »

LatakiaLover wrote:The "time machine" historical accuracy vibe is cool, but you've gotta go all in to make it work. Namely, the 30-30 cartridge wasn't invented until after the H-M feud ended, and while jacketed bullets had been (barely), they weren't commonly available until after WWI.
Sorry, I'm all out of .32-20 and these were the purtiest bullets I had.
I'll try harder next time, pinky promise.
Alden

Post by Alden »

oklahoma red wrote:Nice.
I'm still making and selling these Hatfield replicas too.
Alas, I've yet to see a clear shot of the stem. I fiddled around with all sorts of stem and button combinations and finally said screw it and settled on a conventional button on a very slim stem and shank.
I may be wrong but the movie was filmed in Romania and I think they picked up the pipe there. Otherwise, someone would have surely stepped into the limelight by now.
This a link that shows a few of the ones I've done lately along with some other odds and ends. http://redrockbriar.imgur.com/all/
Chas.
I'm not sure there is a stem, it really looks like one piece. I have one screen shot that shows theres definately a really short saddle at the end (maybe 1/2") and a very tiny bit of a flare.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's one of the best Devil Anse bowl replicas I've seen yet. The stem vexes me too. I saw the same as you, Ryan, a flattened stem with a bit of a flare and it looked very crudely done. I wonder if a prop guy filed it down so Costner could clench it in his molars better. I've tried to clench a regular pipe in my back teeth and it isn't easy to do unless the stem is really flattened.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com