horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LatakiaLover

Re: horn

Post by LatakiaLover »

I do, in fact, spy with my little eye...

sort of a kink.

If you want to call the point where the curve (travelling from shank to button) starts to look ever-so-slightly-abandoned and becomes flatter a "kink," anyway.

Rad doesn't see it because his mind is on ---as usual---trout fishing.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm not aroused by kinky. I'm more of a fetish guy.

Rad
d.huber

Re: Re: horn

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:I do, in fact, spy with my little eye...

sort of a kink.

If you want to call the point where the curve (travelling from shank to button) starts to look ever-so-slightly-abandoned and becomes flatter a "kink," anyway.

Rad doesn't see it because his mind is on ---as usual---trout fishing.
Sweet sweet validation.

Rad, I think Scottie has a booth at Kansas City you may enjoy.

Scottie, think you could pull out the ball gag for Rad?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I will pack it special just for Rad. I'll do him for free too. Anyone else is gonna be $20.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

scotties22 wrote:I will pack it special just for Rad. I'll do him for free too. Anyone else is gonna be $20.
Looks like you may have a burgeoning side business going there. ;)

-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Shit... this thread is getting weird.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
sam a

Post by sam a »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Shit... this thread is getting weird.
indeed... also note this marks the second post uberdaviebro has made in a week referencing ball gags.
Nate

Post by Nate »

sam a wrote:
indeed... also note this marks the second post uberdaviebro has made in a week referencing ball gags.
:shock:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sam a wrote:
It's been a lonely week. Thanks, Sam.

:lol:

Slow weeks at work and nothing else to do make uberhuberdaviebroman post a lot of nonsense.

-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UberHuberMan wrote: Slow weeks at work and nothing else to do make uberhuberdaviebroman post a lot of nonsense.
Hopefully that's about to change. You are coming to the KC show, yes?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote: Slow weeks at work and nothing else to do make uberhuberdaviebroman post a lot of nonsense.
Hopefully that's about to change. You are coming to the KC show, yes?
The nonsense or the posting? :lol:

Man I wish I could. Since January I've taken approximately 1 week off for every 3 weeks I've been at work for pipe making related trips. I got a talking to about a month ago about TOR so I've got to miss Kansas City this year, unfortunately. I figure if I save up some I'll be able to make Las Vegas. Not to mention I got "promoted" to managing one of the busiest stores in Chicago for the franchise I work for immediately after the Chicago Show, so I've only been able to complete one pipe since then, which was my contest entry. As mentioned above, things have slowed down a bit and I'm past the transition month, so I've started getting back in the shop in the last week. Got myself a nice new shop pipe to show for it too. Now that things are balancing out, I'll be turning out work again and hopefully not just shop pipes. ;)

Sorry, Sam. Don't mean to hijak. :P

-Tyler Beard
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I'm new to this game but here's my meaningless FNG opinion anyway.
First off, it's a very nice pipe and I would be happy to build something that was even half as nice as that.

The first picture the stem doesn't follow the flow of the shank (looks flattened out, I wouldn't call it a kink) due to the shank from that side has a more upswept appearance to it than the side shown in the second picture. From the side shown in the second picture the curve of the stem looks fine to me. To me the problem isn't an easy one to fix given the purposeful asymmetry of the shank.

I guess the question for me is how do you get the stem to match the shank from both sides if the shank isn't the same from side to side?

This could be more of my inexperience showing thru but why would you rusticate this pipe? I think it's fine as-is.

Either way I'm trying to critique a pipe that I don't have the skills to build.
Thanks,
Rodney
sam a

Post by sam a »

Rodneywt1180b wrote:I guess the question for me is how do you get the stem to match the shank from both sides if the shank isn't the same from side to side?
i would venture to say, even if asymmetrical as long as it's balanced it should look fine from all angles. one could also make an asymmetrical stem.
Rodneywt1180b wrote:This could be more of my inexperience showing thru but why would you rusticate this pipe? I think it's fine as-is.
because the grain is lackluster.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Thanks Sam. Looking again, the grain is better on one side than the other. I have a lot to learn. Even the "bad" side looks good to me but if it had a twin with better grain and they were side by side I'd go with the better grain. I'm going to have to change the way I look at things if I'm going to make a better pipe.
Part of my thing too is I prefer smooth over rusticated in most cases. The rustication or blast has to be something special to hold my attention. Could be I just like shiny things.
Rodney