anyone who uses the Taig lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jmoss

anyone who uses the Taig lathe

Post by jmoss »

Hi everybody :) ,
I have some questions about the Taig lathe. Is it possible to drill the block in the Taig lathe ? Can i remove material from a briar block from the shank and from the stummel as it is in predrilled blocks for beginners, in the Taig lathe ? The angle that is needed for a buldog at the bowl ? With other words is it possible to align a briar block under 100mm (maybe 80 -90mm) in length and clamp it on a 4 jaw chuck on the Taig lathe . The swing is 150mm (6'') with a raising block on the headstock, so why to be impossible to clamp a piece of Briar on a taig chuck or on an aftermarket chuck bigger than the Taigs chuck (probably a 150 mm-6'' chuck or a woodturners chuck, whatever might be necessery) Do i make something wrong with my calculations?, i know if this is all posible it will be very difficult . I have a little workshop so i have to calculate all the factors, the idea of a bigger lathe is not possible ( i know a bigger lathe would make the things easier :banghead: ).Thank you very much in advance. :)
pipeguy

Re: anyone who uses the Taig lathe

Post by pipeguy »

I guess nothing is impossible, You might also be able to chop down a tree using a bluefish but I wouldn't recommend it.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ive been using a taig for about 5 monthes now and could just say, stick to rod stock. briar is to bulky. the motor doesn't have enough torque. like bob said, you can do anything if you want to bad enough. its just not efficient to use a taig to shape a pipe shank/bowl.

get your Danish on and freehand
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Thanks for the tips guys... but I am an iritating bastard ...so i must adapt a stronger motor for better torque :mrgreen:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Have you ever seen a Taig? They are really, really little.

I'm with Pipeguy, although I recommend Pike because they are a little sharper than Bluefish.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You are of course welcome to try what you like but don't say we didn't warn you :)