pipe #15 first post for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

pipe #15 first post for critique

Post by notow1 »

looking for expert advice on how to improve, I have 3 pipes to post but I'll do one at a time. Thanks in advance for Your advice, Norm ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by notow1 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growley

Re: pipe #15 first post for critique

Post by Growley »

The biggest "area for improvement" I see here is your shank bowl transition. You've basically got two cylinders stuck together with too much wood surrounding them. Keep in mind, I'm only talking about the shapes being two shapes for example purposes. It's of course still one piece of wood.

I've attached a pic where the pipe maker has attached those two cylinders with just the right amount of wood. Just take a look, and hopefully you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, on the last picture that shows up, it looks like there are some heavy sand marks, but it's hard to tell.

Brian.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Looks like you moved your pictures around after posting them. That's a mistake w/ photobucket. They disappear from sites like this one.
Rodney
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Thanks Rodney, I'm still an Idiot but with Your help I'm getting better, Norm
the rev

Post by the rev »

I am still an idiot but I don't ask for or listen to help so I can stay this way :?

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Growley, thank You for Your advise. I see what You mean about the two cylinders just joining together instead of trying to make one merge into the other. This is the kind of advice I am looking for. I'm afraid there are too many mistakes and nobody wants to comment but maybe in the future if I show some progress I can get more comments and advice. I don't know what is going on with the pictures I haven't touched photobucket since I messed up last time. Thanks, Norm
the rev

Post by the rev »

Hey dude don't get discouraged. Sometimes I post a pipe that I really like and nobody says a thing. Sometimes I post a pipe and my friend rip it to shreds. It is all good. You have a really good suggestion to work on. Focus on improving that with your next few pipes, and then the pros will point out a few more things to work on. Don't lose your passion, and for goodness sake have fun, pipe making is fun damn it :)

I don't critique pipes because I am not qualified. So I look, and I read, and I respond if I like something.

I think you are on a good track, just keep making pipes and sticking them out there

rev

Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Thanks for reloading your pictures. The pipe looks good, the only area for improvement that I see is the bowl/shank transition and that's already been covered. Nice job.

I go ahead and critique pipes even though my own skills are at best laughable. Critiquing other people's pipes helps me to be more aware of errors in my own.
Rodney
the rev

Post by the rev »

I only critique Ernie's pipes but sign my critique Sas cause its fun to watch them fight

rev