Learning from the masters

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
andrew

Re: Learning from the masters

Post by andrew »

oldworldpiper wrote:
Sometimes, I wish i would have started the pure way with a rasp and file though. I think there is something to be said for that.
Yes there is something to be said for that... It's slow :)

You will love having power tools.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Why bother to learn from a master when you can pay the same price to learn from an upstart instead? Sure, the technique you'll learn is just as the sloppy as the pipes it produces, but I've heard it can make you a genuine Instagram super star.

TJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Why? Because us sloppy upstart methodless hacks make better gin fizzes. (The marketing guys would call this "diversity of skillset")

In all seriousness, I think there's 2 distinct paths here. For a long time I felt the push of what Todd J is hinting at here: you will get better faster, make nicer pipes, and overall become a better pipe maker (faster) if you spend some time with someone who really knows what they are doing. And that's a logical goal.

But it's not the only goal for people who show up here and want to know how to make a pipe. Someone saying "Hey I want to see if I can do this a bit in my spare time." would benefit almost equally in the early going whether they visit a true master or just a reasonably skilled pipe maker's shop. For some time, this is about getting pieces to fit, drilling, shaping, finishing. Just.... a pipe. It doesn't have to be high art for everybody who ever attempts to make a pipe. There's no moral imperative to be the next Bo Nordh.

If you want to feed your family by making pipes, there is a practical imperative to be the next Bo Nordh, and as I said above, that's logical and getting the best advice you can makes the most sense, as does buying the best tools you can.

IF pipe making is a mountain to climb, you can do it with various levels of help and equipment, and the time you take and how hard you struggle will vary because of it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
Was my question well thought Ernie?! :(

Who are you again? ;)
oldworldpiper wrote: Sometimes, I wish i would have started the pure way with a rasp and file though. I think there is something to be said for that.
I'm pretty sure you don't. :)
Growley wrote: ...just some thoughts...
Good thoughts, Brian. I'm especially partial to #2 - I can't tell you how many guys either already know how to make a pipe or readily provide 27 excuses as to why they "meant to" do it that way. You're learning - no one expects you to make a perfect pipe!
wisemanpipes wrote:ask ernie! gracik is his homie and master. down boy :notworthy: :twisted:
Well, I wouldn't say "homie" and "master" are terms that apply to our relationship (in fact, "homie" isn't in my vocabulary at all). I am happy to call him a friend, and he does make a nicer pipe than I do.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ernie, I consider you my master homo if that makes you feel any better.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Sasquatch wrote:Ernie, I consider you my master homo if that makes you feel any better.
Hear that Ernie? He loves you.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

ToddJohnson wrote:Why bother to learn from a master when you can pay the same price to learn from an upstart instead? TJ
Sasquatch wrote: you will get better faster, make nicer pipes, and overall become a better pipe maker (faster) if you spend some time with someone who really knows what they are doing.
Without doubt, one of the most rewarding experiences I had as a wood worker (a furniture artisan) was the year apprenticeship I did. It became the launching pad for a 30 year career. I just don’t see that as an option at this point, not the least problem being one of logistics. I think the closest “master” to me would be Brad Pohlmann who is about 275 miles away, assuming he would even be amenable to such a thing. The question then is what is the alternative?

Jim
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The alternative is to find someone closer and have a few beers and some fun. Make a lot of pipes, develop your own methodology, go to a pipe show and talk to other pipe makers there, etc.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Pipe masters are good for pointing the general direction and to inspire. You, have to do the work, just like they did. Great ones are the ones that share, they are fearless and have nothing to lose by showing the way. They, if you watch are self assured. The problem lies in not all recognize their kindness in helping. They see the squabble of the, I ought to, should of, could of types, and it dismays them. The never ending questions instead of action, which they, are all about. The ones i have known and have asked for help have always extended by word or action the inspiration I need. They are more than masters of pipe making, they are usually great men, worth knowing. They save you time.Time you could waste not knowing them.Thats why this forum is so important.They are there on the pages,guiding, showing and helping, to make you better than you are. This is just my opinion. I know some are a pain by their artistic nature.But think. If you are going to buy a lathe,would'nt you want to know what they think? A short sentence can save a lot of time and money and assist in reaching your goals. As I said this is my opinion, but I am grateful for all the help I have received over the years and still marvel when one of these masters speaks and sees the solutions with such clarity. Thanks!