blasting help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
wisemanpipes

blasting help

Post by wisemanpipes »

hey guys,

glad to have this forum up an going again and I thought id ask a question to get some conversation going.

im really trying to tune in my blaster now. I have it all setup and I am getting pretty great and defined blasts.

however, id like to know how senatorov is getting this effect with such a small nozzle.

I have made several small nozzles (ie 1/8) but I keep getting blow back into the sand. like blowing bubbles in a glass of milk. I can only assume the air is taking the path of least resistance and going out the siphon hose. does anyone know how he is getting that super detail size stream of media. my only guess would be that its coming from a pressure pot or the hose on the siphon is really thin?

please guys any insight would be greatly appreciated. oh and heres the video and the link incase the video thing isn't working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BpPTlrnqKM[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BpPTlrnqKM
caskwith

Re: blasting help

Post by caskwith »

That looks like a pressure pot setup to me.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That is indeed a pressure pot setup. That type of nozzle/gun require a separate tank that contains the blasting media and is also pressurized. This is in addition to the blasting cabinet, which is then mostly used as a catch basin for media, and to contain overspray.

This is an inexpensive model:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_583_583
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

thanks kurt and chris. that what I figured.

so should I cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, then put a funnel feeding into the pressure pot to keep refilling media. and feed the guns line into the side of the cabinet?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nope. The pressure blaster, when it's running, is a sealed unit. You open it to refill it, but you can't recycle the media while it's running. At least not on any examples I've ever seen.

--K
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Only very expensive systems will recycle during use.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ahhhh okay thank you gents.

also what would you say is the size on the nozzle he is using?

also would it be wise to get a foot pedal to control the media flow? looks like his is constantly running.

and other suggestions to help get a setup similar to that.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have heard tha tfoot pedals are nice additions. I do not use one, because I am strong like bull...

Other than that, I do not use a pressure blaster, so I couldn't speak to nozzle size. However, judging by the photos I've seen online, 3/32" to 1/8" seems about right.

--K
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

yeah the foot pedal seems like a nice addition if you have a pressure pot with no trigger. thanks for your help Kurt