carbonising or colouring inside bowl

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Random,

I have tried honey, but I do detect a flavor from it.

I would think an unflavored high fructose corn syrup like the light color Karo (before they added vanilla to it) would work with the addition of some table sugar.

I don't think the proportions of the sugars is that critical, I just obtained those figures from an analysis, so I used them.

I do the pre-carb last after applying wax.

Mike
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Another alternative is to use fish glue, which actually isn't as disgusting as it sounds. The stuff is natural and edible. It produces a beautiful coating which lasts a long time without fading and changing color, which is a problem with some other mixes. That said, I do not use this mix as it has a more noticeable flavor when initially smoked, but I've smoked plenty of experiment bowls with it myself and been quite happy. It's worth a try for anyone looking to experiment.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I just did my first pre-carb... how in the heck do you all get a smooth even coat out of this gunk with a pipe cleaner?! The pipe cleaner is so thin how do you apply it evenly??!
Last edited by bscofield on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

try doubling it over and using the loop end.

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Can someone who has purchased activated charcoal not in capsule form help me out with quanitities of items added (activated charcoal, sour cream, buttermilk)? Tyler had posted about this but his charcoal was in capsule form (5 capsules, 1/2 tsp of sour cream, 1/2 tsp of buttermilk).
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ben,

Use equal proportions of each for that recipe. If its not the consistency you are looking for, add more charcoal or buttermilk/sour cream as is necessary to correct.

JG
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I add buttermilk to the sour creme until it is the consistency I want (a tad thicker than latex house paint)

Then I add charcoal until it is as dark gray as I can get it. I apply it with a small flat brush. I cannot stand painting with the pipe cleaners but I think that is just prejudice because of my background as a painter.
marks

Post by marks »

I usually mix 1/4 teaspoon of each, and it is about right for one bowl, with a little extra left over for evening out after an hour or two.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ArtGuy wrote:I add buttermilk to the sour creme until it is the consistency I want (a tad thicker than latex house paint)

Then I add charcoal until it is as dark gray as I can get it. I apply it with a small flat brush. I cannot stand painting with the pipe cleaners but I think that is just prejudice because of my background as a painter.
That did it! Your description, "a tad thicker than latex house paint" was what I needed... The first time I had it WAY to thick. That's why the lines were so horrible.
Progcat

Post by Progcat »

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of trying the charcoal, buttermilk, yogurt bowl coating. I was wondering doesn't the milk and yogurt go rancid when it is spread on the pipe and left outside of a refrigerator? I don't want to kill anyone with my pipes!!

Progcat@msn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Progcat wrote:Hey Guys,

I was thinking of trying the charcoal, buttermilk, yogurt bowl coating. I was wondering doesn't the milk and yogurt go rancid when it is spread on the pipe and left outside of a refrigerator? I don't want to kill anyone with my pipes!!

Progcat@msn.com
Nope. There are a number of people who have been using this coating for quite a while. Not a dead person yet.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

I still think the spam, spit and slug scum provides the truest tobbaco flavor.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Progcat wrote:Hey Guys,

Progcat@msn.com
I feared the same thing when I first hear do fthis bowl coating recipe. One of the first things I did after coating a pipe with thie recipe for the first time, was smell the coated bowl.

Nothing. No smell at all.

In retrospect, that makes since since carbon is used for absorbing smells (you know -- odor eaters with an "active carbon layer"). I did still wonder about spoilage though. I am confident now, after coating quite a few bowls, that this is not a problem. I have a few pipes that were coated well over six months ago that look and smell the same way they did when I first coated them. There is no sign of change, and since the shelf-life of the dairy products used is considerably less than six months, I feal comfortable that the addition of the carbon does something that prevents the coating from ever having an issue.

Tyler
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

I have pipes that have sat for over a year with the coating in it and nothing ever happened to it either. What it is, the buttermilk keeps the sour cream from becoming a petri dish experiment. I dont know why, i just know it works. I was told this by Greg Pease, im sure he has had alot of chemistry courses under his belt. Somehow the mixture together cancels out anything that would make the coating sour or grow mold at all, and like i said, i have never had a problem with it at all.
And hey you can even use the left overs on your baked potato at Halloween time!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

There is a chemist here at Purdue that hangs out in the local cigar shop. He told me much the same thing that Pease told you, Brian.

That and that waterglass will make your lips fall off and your nose turn purple :P
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ArtGuy wrote:There is a chemist here at Purdue that hangs out in the local cigar shop. He told me much the same thing that Pease told you, Brian.

That and that waterglass will make your lips fall off and your nose turn purple :P
dude! A purple nose?!

I'm there!!! :thumb:
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!

That's not all it'll turn purple Ben. Better watch out!