Lathe advice: to Taig or not to Taig?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jaredegg

Lathe advice: to Taig or not to Taig?

Post by jaredegg »

I am looking into buying a metal lathe of some sort for bit turning. Taig seem to be the machine of choice, but has anyone used another brand that's maybe a little less expensive? I found one in the $200 range from harborfreight.com with these specs:

- 1.89'' center height
- 7.87'' between centers
- Turning diameter over bed: 3.78''
- Cross slide travel: 2.047''
- Eight speeds: 130, 200, 350, 560, 920, 1500, 2450 and 4000 RPM
- Quick-change toolpost, up to 1/2'' capacity

Any advice?

Jared Egg
jaredegg@gmail.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hi Jared,

I would caution you against buying anything with moving parts from Harbor Freight. I'm not trying to engage in tool snobbery here, but there's a reason Harbor Freight tools are so inexpensive. If budget won't allow for anything else, then by all means go for it. If however you could wait another month or two and pick up a higher quality tool, that's what I would recommend. On the other hand, tools from HF can certainly function as a stop-gap solution until you can afford something better. I traded a pipe for a bunch of tools and briar maybe six months ago. Included in that lot was a HF 9 x 20 metal lathe. It does a fine job running at 100 rpm's for 10 mins./ week, but it sounds like it's going to explode at any minute and its construction is somewhat less than rock-solid. I'll probably go through it when I have time this summer, but I wouldn't put it to any serious work. I guess that's a rambling way of suggesting you save up your money for the Taig. I hope that's helpful.

Todd

P.S. If anyone else has a HF lathe or other tools that have served them well, I'm glad your experience has been contrary to mine. I meant none of the above as a slight if your shop includes tools from Harbor Freight.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Something like a Taig is really going to be primarily useful as a dedicated stem-turning tool - you won't do much briar work on it, at least not easily or happily (speaks experience). If you're looking for something less expensive, I might suggest getting yourself a good solid wood lathe with a self-centering chuck. If you use pre-made tenon rod, you won't need the precision turning abilities of a metal lathe for anything until you start playing around with banding and so forth. A good wood lathe can be had for cheap, and you can drill briar, turn briar, drill stem rod, drill tenon rod, and pretty much anything you might do pipe-wise for a not-too-painful price. Be advised you'll spend as much in tools and extra bits as you do on the lathe itself, whatever you choose...
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
jaredegg

Thanks for the advice...

Post by jaredegg »

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like the general consensus is to save up for a Taig. I suspected as much, but it's hard not to let budget come into play. Thanks again.

Jared
WBill

Post by WBill »

I recently purchased a 7 X 12 inch metal lathe from Homier Tools, homier.com. It comes complete with everything except tool bits. I bought a four jaw wood chuck so I could mount it in the three jaw chuck that came with the lathe for stummels, turning and boring. I use the three jaw self centering chuck for turning stems. It cost $299.00 plus shipping, the four jaw wood chuck cost $17.00 and a chuck for the tailstock is $8.99. You can buy all sorts of accessaries and attachments for these lathes for very reasonable prices from many places on the internet.

They are many companies that sale the same lathe, just painted different colors and cost from $299.00 to $500.00. All the lathes are made in China in the same factory. You need to go to mini-lathe.com and read up on them.

I have made several things on my lathe besides pipes. It will turn metal, wood, plastic, etc. and I have never had any problems with it.

Bill
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

WBill

I went to the web site and can't find a metal lathe anywhere. Under what listing on the web page did you look. I'l like to see the lathe.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
WBill

Post by WBill »

Craig, when I was looking for this lathe Homier didn't have it in stock and when it is out of stock they will not list it on their website. Call them at their 800 number and ask when they will have them in. They usually get around 30-40 in at a time and they sell out in a hurry.

Look at the lathe on Cummins Tools website,http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,876.html . It is the same lathe that Homier carries but cost $100.00 more. It comes with a lot of accessaries that you might use. I prefered to get the Homier and spend the $100.00 on items that I knew I was going to need.

Look at www.mini-lathe.com they list all the companies that carry this lathe, which is made by Sieg in China. This is a very accurate and durable machine, most people who buy this lathe use it to make all sorts of things, real miniature motors, steam engines, etc. This is a 7X12 lathe which is big enough to do all the work that is required to make a pipe.

Bill