first pipe for critique on the forum

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wisemanpipes

first pipe for critique on the forum

Post by wisemanpipes »

Hey guys,

I have been on this site for close to a year and have yet to post a pipe. I felt like I had nothing to offer and I could see my own mistakes. I dint want to bother you with the same tedious critique of the same awful first pipes. I can still see my own mistakes, but have improved in my making (I think) and would like you guys to help me maybe see points that I cant. Be critical!

Anyway, here she be; a burgundy blast bent egg/apple made from Italian briar, bocote ring, delrin mortise liner, german ebonite stem, and 7/8 bowl. its right around 5 inches long. * SORRY ABOUT THE SHITTY PHOTOS*

My personal critique;

-I hate the transition from bowl to shank as I got a little heavy handed in the blast cabinet. its like a step, not a curve
-the stem is a little short I think
-its really bowl heavy and not balanced
-I tried a smooth rim but its hard to make perfect with such a heavy blast.
-clean the slot up more
-draw holes 1/16th off because the block slipped and I had to reposition it.

many many thanks guys. I really do appreciate this forum and the effort that kurt and tyler put into making it run smoothly, as well as all the help from the experienced guys.

Evan
PremalChheda

Re: first pipe for critique on the forum

Post by PremalChheda »

wisemanpipes wrote:
My personal critique;

-I hate the transition from bowl to shank as I got a little heavy handed in the blast cabinet. its like a step, not a curve
-the stem is a little short I think
-its really bowl heavy and not balanced
-I tried a smooth rim but its hard to make perfect with such a heavy blast.
-clean the slot up more
-draw holes 1/16th off because the block slipped and I had to reposition it.

many many thanks guys. I really do appreciate this forum and the effort that kurt and tyler put into making it run smoothly, as well as all the help from the experienced guys.

Evan
I think you covered mostly everything that you can work on. Stem length is fine in my opinion. If the pipe were not blasted so deep, I think the shape would be easier to see your progress in shaping. I think the blast distorted the work that you did shaping the piece. A little softer blast on the end of the shank and stamping areas blended in will preserve your overall shape much better. Your stem work is very good for the little experience you have. Better than some that have been making pipes for a very long time. The proportion on the saddle is the only problem that I see. The slight taper is very nice and the top view and button are done well. You need to finish the inside of the bowl. Either sand it clean or put a bowl coat. The ring itself looks good but again the proportion which you already know. The backside transition of the saddle is very well blended and shaped on the side view, but I cannot see the top or bottom view of it. Usually, a smaller diameter saddle than the ring will look good. Is your blasting setup on Steroids? :banghead:
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Thanks Premal! I plan on doing a bowl coating in the next couple days. I agree, I didn't plan on going so deep on the blast. I spent to much time on one area then had to finish the pipe in the same depth (no steroids, but still pretty powerful). Prior to the blast, the shape was very crisp. I spent so much time on this stem and think it turned out much better than most ive done before.

As for the taper? I don't know what taper. do you mean the saddle after the ring?

I appreciate the critique man.

Evan
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

wisemanpipes wrote:Thanks Premal! I plan on doing a bowl coating in the next couple days. I agree, I didn't plan on going so deep on the blast. I spent to much time on one area then had to finish the pipe in the same depth (no steroids, but still pretty powerful). Prior to the blast, the shape was very crisp. I spent so much time on this stem and think it turned out much better than most ive done before.

As for the taper? I don't know what taper. do you mean the saddle after the ring?

I appreciate the critique man.

Evan
From the backside of the saddle to the bite. The slight taper looks good and should function well. The bend is nice too.

"Bend it like Butera"
Last edited by PremalChheda on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ahhh yes I get it. thanks!
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Not really a critique but that color with that texture is truly disturbing. Like B horror movie special effects grade disturbing.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWP. :lol:

The biggest thing that I see that could still be fixed to vastly improve this pipe is the proportion of the stem ring. It's too big. The base of the stem should be the same diameter as the end of the shank where it meets the shank ring/accent. Also, if you made the ring less proud of the shank it wouldn't accentuate the uneven blast quite as much. As it is, it really draws attention to it. The only other significant thing that I see is that the shank end is faced a few degrees off which breaks up the flow a bit. Overall, it's not a bad pipe at all.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

wdteipen wrote:IAWP. :lol:

The biggest thing that I see that could still be fixed to vastly improve this pipe is the proportion of the stem ring. It's too big. The base of the stem should be the same diameter as the end of the shank where it meets the shank ring/accent. Also, if you made the ring less proud of the shank it wouldn't accentuate the uneven blast quite as much. As it is, it really draws attention to it. The only other significant thing that I see is that the shank end is faced a few degrees off which breaks up the flow a bit. Overall, it's not a bad pipe at all.
Thanks Wayne, I agree the shank ring ended up a little too large, I wish I could but cant change it because it is recessed for the stem to sit in it. which picture does it look like the shank is faced on an angle?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

In the first pic the stem looks to be off center. It matches up to the shank on the top, but looks to be wider than the shank on the bottom. Its probably related to over blasting the shank. The shank looks confused like it doenst know if it is a traditional taper or reverse taper. Stem work looks great. I think the bowl suffers from over blasting too. It gives the bowl a very ambiguious feel. I think in hand made pipes generally there are a lot of shaping flaws that are hidden by deep sandblasting. Your pipe may be the opposite. A well shaped pipe that was sort of melted away too far. I say all of this because I've seen the pipes you have posted elsewhere and i know what you capable of producing.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

fuchi_jeg wrote:In the first pic the stem looks to be off center. It matches up to the shank on the top, but looks to be wider than the shank on the bottom. Its probably related to over blasting the shank. The shank looks confused like it doenst know if it is a traditional taper or reverse taper. Stem work looks great. I think the bowl suffers from over blasting too. It gives the bowl a very ambiguious feel. I think in hand made pipes generally there are a lot of shaping flaws that are hidden by deep sandblasting. Your pipe may be the opposite. A well shaped pipe that was sort of melted away too far. I say all of this because I've seen the pipes you have posted elsewhere and i know what you capable of producing.
yeah, I guess the general consensus is that I got to heavy handed in the blast cabinet. it was one of my first blasts, what can I say :oops:

Its definitely the latter on the shaping comment. It was perfectly symmetrical until I blasted. As for the shank, I wasn't going for a taper but I think I should have reverse tapered.

thanks for the response!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

wisemanpipes wrote:which picture does it look like the shank is faced on an angle?
It looks off in the first photo but it looks okay in the second photo so it may just be the photo.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com