Todd Johnson's advice to pipe makers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Todd Johnson's advice to pipe makers

Post by LatakiaLover »

Several new/aspiring carvers have dropped in lately, so I thought it was a good time to reprint something I found elsewhere on the Net as a way for them to start off the new year headed in the right direction. It anticipates lots of questions.

Todd Johnson
April 26, 2012

[Here is] my unsolicited advice to all those who want to enter the industry as “professional” pipe makers:

1. Make pretty pipes that are well engineered. Until you can do this, you don’t have a viable product to offer at any price.

2. Don’t quit your day job. Doing this for a living is difficult, and there are probably less than five people in the US who do this full time, as their family’s only source of income.

3. For the love of God, don’t be “original” until you can carve consistently pretty, well-engineered pipes in accepted, conventional shapes. We’ve all heard the quote “Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately, the parts that are good are not original, and the parts that are original are not good.” Established shapes exist for a reason, and there is no shame in reproducing them. Once your skill set catches up with your inexhaustibly creative brain then, by all means, go apeshit. Until then, keep it simple, stupid.

4. Don’t chase the endorsement of would-be tastemakers, gatekeepers, blowhards, or self-important morons who want to “sponsor” you as their pipemaking boy-toy. Soon enough you will find yourself riding the bus to God knows where wondering why you’re a passenger on your own effing bus. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts–even if those gifts look like a first class ticket to fame and fortune amongst your benefactors’ adoring klingons. Instead, the city that was once your career will be summarily raped and pillaged. Never let anyone else–not a collector, not a dealer, not another pipemaker, and no, not your Great Aunt, Pearl!

5. LISTEN TO YOUR COLLECTORS when they offer criticism. DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR COLLECTORS when they offer praise. Every mother tells her daughter she’s pretty, and yet there are lots of ugly women out there. Connect the dots. Someone’s not telling the truth.

6. Get to know your collectors’ tastes and preferences. Every successful visual artist has a “patron” or two. Cultivate patrons that will grow with you rather than trying to be the most popular kid in school. Buyers that can be swayed by trends and blog posts will not help you make a sustainable living. They are like Facebook “friends,” i. e. acquaintances. If you end your life with three real friends, then you are truly blessed. Likewise, if you end your pipemaking career with three real collectors who have grown with you and continued to support you throughout your career, you are again blessed.

7. Quit trying to make Blowfish. The last thing we need is another briar abortion in the shape of a melting lollipop.

8. Buy the very best tools you can possibly afford, but know that great tools will never turn you into a great pipemaker.

9. Listen to every single thing that Lars, Tom, Nana, Jess, Teddy, Toku, Toni, Kei, Former, Per, Ulf, Wolfgang, etc. take the time to tell you, and for God’ sake don’t make excuses to them for why your pipes aren’t what they should be. Just listen, and do what you’re advised.

10. Don’t ever give pipes away. Not only does it devalue your work, but it will NEVER pay any meaningful dividends. No one will ever appreciate something they’ve received for free the way they will appreciate something they’ve spent their hard-earned money on. Glowing reviews of free pipes are about as valuable as a bag of shit minus the cost of the bag.

And that, my friends–to quote both Dr. Dre and Ben Folds–is some real conversation for your ass.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Todd Johnson's advice to pipe makers

Post by baweaverpipes »

George, thanks for posting this invaluable information. I concur with TJ.
BAW
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thanks for the post George.

andrew
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I've read this several times over the last couple of years.
Some of the best, most concise and straightforward advice that can be given in this field.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

My wife said something about boy toy :D Is she going to run me over with that bus? :roll:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

I haven't been on the forum long but it is interesting to observe what some new pipe makers think they are going to do. They must believe it's easy money. Make a few pipes in their spare time, sell a few, and so forth. Are they really committed for the long haul to study pipes, learn, and practice? My guess is no as they have no idea what they're really getting into.
Bob
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Then they will DIE! :twisted: "then let them do so quickly so they might decrease the surplus population"(Ebineaser Scrooge)
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

That was a delicious read.

Matt
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipeguy wrote:Then they will DIE! :twisted: "then let them do so quickly so they might decrease the surplus population"
Now, that's just crazytalk. Pipe making is hardly rocket science.

Let's see:

-- Buy $50 worth of briar & vulcanite (or acrylic)

-- Cut away about two thirds of it

-- Finish what remains

-- Sell for hundreds of dollars (thousands after a few years :D )

What could be simpler or easier?

(Well, becoming a concert pianist, I suppose... that's just a three stepper: 1) buy piano 2) move hands 3) sell tickets... Right?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.