*GRRRR*

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
ScoJo

*GRRRR*

Post by ScoJo »

Well, last night I really did it. I have been wanting to make a more fully-bent pipe, and to this point I have been drilling mortise and draft hole at the same angle (without removing the block from the chuck). Last night I squared (I thought) a block and drew this very bent shape. Then I figured out angles for the mortise and draft hole (different!). I proceeded to drill. Mortise - not bad. Draft hole - not bad - took a little scoop out of the bottom of the mortise, but not terrible. Tobacco chamber - WHOA - what happened? First, because of the angle of the draft hole and the fact that I am still drilling the tobacco chamber with a rather round PIMO bit, I almost drilled the chamber too deep - didn't realize that the two would meet as high up as they did. The draft hole is a touch high, but I have bought pipes that were worse, so no big deal. But the problem I have is that the two - while relatively aligned with one another (i.e. draft hole hits chamber roughly in center), the two are NOT aligned with the block very well at all. Picture me, looking at the top of the block and seeing the chamber very much to one side even though it was drilled so that the draft hole met it pretty much in the center!

This is hard to describe in words without being able to show you. But if you can picture it, has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Nick

Post by Nick »

It sounds like your block wasn't square. This happened to me once before. I square up all my blocks no no my sander or my miter saw.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

been there, done that. Didn't buy a t-shirt tho cause I'm waiting for the TylerLanePipes.com t-shirt.

In my experience, if you work real slow and hard (that's what it takes for me), you can get it looking decent. A very keen eye can take a double or triple take and see that something's off... but outside of that it could look alright still.
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Ben,

The best thing to do is just work off the tobacco chamber hole when shaping the pipe. i do this all the time and it works fine, you just have to be aware of where the tobacco chamber is and also the flat face end of the shank. see you can drill 2 holes and intersect them at any angle, its when you go to shape the pipe that you have to be aware of these angles and compensate for them. i always shape a pipe off the chamber and flat face of the shank. this way they always line up really good and your stem doest hook to the right or left after you have added it to the pipe.
marks

Post by marks »

Sounds like the block was not square. Did you put a square on the block to check prior to drilling? (I learned to do this the hard way).

If the bowl is too far off to make a symmetrical shape, then something like this may be in order for the pipe (not that this shape is asymmetrical). http://www.briarart.com/0102text.htm

Also, Peter Matzhold makes some nice non traditional shapes. Checking out some pictures of his work might give you some good ideas on how to deal with this block, should you need to vary your game plan. A google search should locate some of his pipes.

Good luck
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

What Brian said.....
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Scott,

Without seeing exactly what you are talking about, I'll venture to say that this is no big deal. If you have enough wood left on the skinny side for the pipe to be smoke-able, all this means is that you have to take more off the other side to get it to look right. :D

This actually hapens to me (on a minor scale) semi-often. It is no biggie. The job is still to pull a nice shape from a strange looking chunk with holes in it. It matters not that the hole is a tad offset from the center.

Have fun! :wink:

Tyler