Possible shaping "tool"

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Possible shaping "tool"

Post by LatakiaLover »

I was browsing the gallery, and noticed how often a carver says, "I see it now, but didn't before" after a commenter points something out concerning line flow & break.

Extrapolating from that, I realized everyone is familiar with how something is often visible in a photo that they didn't see at the time the photo was taken. In the modeling biz, talent scouts go so far as to ignore what their realtime eyes say, and care only about photos, in fact.

Given that, maybe it would be worthwhile to add a step to the shaping process when making a pipe. When you THINK it is finished, shape-wise, take pics against a contrasting background to study before proceeding to the finishing process.

A self-test: as a maker, how often have you done a forehead smack after noticing something (or had it pointed out to you) after the pipe was done, but going back to set it right was too much work so you let it go?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wisemanpipes

Re: Possible shaping "tool"

Post by wisemanpipes »

LatakiaLover wrote:A self-test: as a maker, how often have you done a forehead smack after noticing something (or had it pointed out to you) after the pipe was done, but going back to set it right was too much work so you let it go?
all the time, that's how you become a better maker. don't dwell on the past, just make a better pipe next time, with all the faults of the previous one, remedied

evan
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wisemanpipes wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:A self-test: as a maker, how often have you done a forehead smack after noticing something (or had it pointed out to you) after the pipe was done, but going back to set it right was too much work so you let it go?
all the time, that's how you become a better maker. don't dwell on the past, just make a better pipe next time, with all the faults of the previous one, remedied
The idea was to not let it slip into the past in the first place, but catch the error(s) before continuing as part of your process.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I take quite a few "in progress" pictures of my pipes. When I run into something I think isn't quite right I always take a picture and look at it on the computer. It really has helped train my eye. I think I am making better pipes than I would without taking, and analyzing, so many pictures. It also helps cut out shaping time because I have taken the time to study the parts of pipes I have problems with.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

I saw the title and thought you had a blurry picture of Sasquatch at the 36 grit disk.
"Possible Shaping "Tool" ?
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

LatakiaLover wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:
The idea was to not let it slip into the past in the first place, but catch the error(s) before continuing as part of your process.
I guess we were talking about different stages in making. I forgot that you were implying to rough shape, then check you work. I was saying, after sandblasting ill notice something, or I don't quite like my stem flare but have already cut the stem, stuff like that. you cant always go back. just move on.

btw in progress shots are nice but often, a lot of extra work. I just hold a stummel upto a white wall and use my hand to block parts that, if I took off, would make the shape more appealing. stuff like that helps me as much as any picture would (a picture is 2 dimensional).

Also, there is so much alteration from rough shaping to final sanding and staining that you cant really judge the final shape on an early picture.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I use my phone. Not for every pipe, but sometimes I get stuck. 2d pics can be helpful.

andrew
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I take a lot of progress photos, and often I'll catch something then. But I always have my photo table set up- I should just throw down the pipe and take some photos on white during shaping. That'd definitely help. Especially since I'm not too concerned with a perfect profile and top view shot when I'm taking progress photos. Just final photos.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wisemanpipes wrote:
Also, there is so much alteration from rough shaping to final sanding and staining that you cant really judge the final shape on an early picture.
My suggestion was to take the pics when you think you are finished shaping and sanding. Meaning to insert a checkpoint immediately before staining/finishing, because stuff seems to appear on film that isn't visible to your eye when looking at the pipe in hand.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I've recently discovered the usefullness of taking pictures at the point where I think I'm done shaping. Seems my camera has a better eye than I do.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Good Idea, George.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just sell ugly flawed pipes. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
BobR

Post by BobR »

At least for us new guys I think George is right. It amazed me the first time I did it and saw flaws I didn't see before the pictures. It helped me.
Bob