Poker Pipe Nomad Series

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Re: Poker Pipe Nomad Series

Post by Alden »

I'll try to post on every page as it develops, and until it's locked.
Damn.

Pedro, its hard to point out flaws without sounding insulting. I wouldn't disagree with anything Yeti said, and would definitely add to it.
Brut Weaver makes a valid point though, in the $75 market everything "wrong" with the pipe is probably acceptable. The issue is, do you want to make $75 pipes forever, or would you like to make pipes with more demanding aesthetics ?
If you want a pat on the back, seriously, post them ANYWHERE else on the internet, and everyone will say Bravo and tell you they are awesome. This is a place with very high standards, and it is difficult to live up these standards.
If you would like to make more valuable pipes, the critiques you get here should be considered and strived for.
This pipe could have been constructed to much higher standards in the same amount of time with the same amount of work. Even if you *want* to keep selling them for $75, learn to make them more aesthetically pleasing and give your customers twice as much for their money. Simple things like keeping the shank straight instead of pinching in towards the bowl and putting a more pleasing curve in the shank to bowl transition. These are things that are *better*, it is not a matter of taste. If you never learn what you are doing wrong, you will keep making the same mistakes over and over.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

uniquebriar wrote:
I do want critique but from what you wrote its more towards a insult or bigotry. No wonder some new pipe makers and some veterans do not post there work onto this forum you make them either hide or run.
II understand that critique can be painful and feel like a personal attack- I have felt the same in the past. But let me assure you, neither insult nor bigotry was intended. If you take the time to listen to critique and become a better pipemaker from it, then you'll begin to understand why I critique so bluntly. To do otherwise is silly and a waste of words. I don't have time to save peoples emotions. This forum exists to help us become better pipemakers. Honestly if you don't want critique, don't post your work here.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
uniquebriar wrote:
I do want critique but from what you wrote its more towards a insult or bigotry. No wonder some new pipe makers and some veterans do not post there work onto this forum you make them either hide or run.
II understand that critique can be painful and feel like a personal attack- I have felt the same in the past. But let me assure you, neither insult nor bigotry was intended. If you take the time to listen to critique and become a better pipemaker from it, then you'll begin to understand why I critique so bluntly. To do otherwise is silly and a waste of words. I don't have time to save peoples emotions. This forum exists to help us become better pipemakers. Honestly if you don't want critique, don't post your work here.
Thanks for clarifying that i will take note and learn from this and will continue posting more pipes and looking for more help. And for that i am sorry Yeti and the pipe community.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

Try this: make another poker but use every comment in the critique and see what the resulting pipe looks like. You may be surprised. Ask you friends what they think of the changes.
Last edited by BobR on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I realize you said this pipe was "perfected", not "perfect".
They sound pretty similar though...
If you consider your work to have been "perfected", then there's no need to ask for critique.
If you ask for critique don't go all defensive because someone made you realize this pipe could still be "perfected" much more.
Do keep posting and let's all enjoy discussing our work. Don't worry, if Lars I. or Tom E. ever post here we'll make sure to trash them too :lol: :lol: :lol:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This is why I never comment on your work. I offered some critique on your airway a year or so ago as Micah did and got the same response and you are still doing your airway like a factory pipe. Honestly, I don't usually even open the threads you post in the gallery anymore. I only opened this one because it had two pages and that piqued my curiosity. If you want to get better fast, you're going to have to get thicker skin and listen to the advice that is being freely offered here. You're not making ugly pipes but you're stuck at a certain amateur level because of your unwillingness to be honest with yourself about your work. FWIW, I agree with Micah's critique. I do hope you can humble yourself. I think you have potential. It would be a shame to see you waste it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

uniquebriar wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:
uniquebriar wrote:
Thanks for clarifying that i will take note and learn from this and will continue posting more pipes and looking for more help. And for that i am sorry Yeti and the pipe community.
I think he's got the message now, guys. It's not helpful to go on about it at this point.

uniquebriar - I'm looking forward to seeing the pipes you post here in the future. Hopefully you'll get loads more useful critique from the seasoned ones now that we're all on the same page ;)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein