Pipe i made

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AirrikWeaver

Pipe i made

Post by AirrikWeaver »

here is a pipe I made and sold last year. I was pretty happy about it. have been slow on pipe making for awhile but just bought a lathe and bandsaw and looking to get more serious about it.
Attachments
TULIP2-small.jpg
(195.13 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
TULIP 4-small.jpg
(143.68 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
TULIP 3-small.jpg
TULIP 3-small.jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 663 times
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Pipe i made

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Ahh yes- welcome to the rabbit hole!

Congrats on finishing your first pipe- it looks better than my first.

Critiquing early work is usually un-necessary- rather, I would offer some guidance and direction. Start off with some classic shapes- Billiard, brandy, apple, dublin- those sorts of pipes. Just practice getting things symmetrical and clean. Keep posting for critiques, and see how things go! Pipemaking is really fun/addictive, I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
AirrikWeaver

Post by AirrikWeaver »

thanks yeti,
although this is not my first pipe. I have been making pipes on a very small production level on and off for about 10 years. I wont post a pic of my first pipe on here as it is pretty bad.... made with a whittling knife and some files. I posted some pics of some earlier pipes on here years ago but the pics no long come up...just as well. I am currently re-motivating for pipe making as a now have a lathe and a band saw to add to my drill press and belt sander. I am happy to be moving up a small level and really be able to quicken the process and be more accurate. this pipe was drilled on a drill press and shaped with a disc grinder, dremal and files. I think I have sold around 25-30 pipes over the years mostly to close friends and acquaintances. thanks again for looking and the feedback.
BobR

Post by BobR »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Start off with some classic shapes- Billiard, brandy, apple, dublin- those sorts of pipes.
Wise advice if you want to improve even though you're not just starting off. You may even find these other shapes are rewarding to make.

Bob
Bob
AirrikWeaver

Post by AirrikWeaver »

yes bob it is good advice I have made a few more classic shapes but it has been hard to do so far. But I recently bought a lathe and a band saw so Im hoping to be able to make leaps and bounds. thanks for looking