Poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
millerman

Poker

Post by millerman »

Hi. I've been working on this here and there for awhile. I'll pick it up and work on it awhile. Then put it down to do some other project. I decided I wanted it to be finished before Christmas. So here it is. Sorry I couldn't get my lighting right for the pictures. Thanks fer looking.

andrew

Re: Poker

Post by andrew »

Well, you have a cherrywood poker. What pipe number is this for you?

andrew
millerman

Post by millerman »

I think this is number 9. But it isn't cherrywood. This is briar from Vermont Freehand. Thanks fer looking.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

the shape is a "cherrywood" . it doesn't matter what type of physical wood is used.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Canting a poker forward by taking material off the underside to lean it forward turns it into a cherrywood poker.

andrew
millerman

Post by millerman »

I apologize fer my ignorance. I'm still new to this. Thanks fer the information. I always like to learn more. Thanks again fer looking.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

For pipe 9 obviously you are addicted, Pay attention to detail on stem and bit, look at pics of pipes to get a grasp on colors and shapes, nice job.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Your stem/shank junction is coming along. The staining is uneven. Keep trying, but know that finishing takes years of practice, just like every other aspect of making a pipe. Start simple, one color maybe. Learn to control that first. Take a look at smokingpipes.com for some ideas about proportions. The top and bottom transitions on the shank/bowl are more uniform than the same side transitions. On a shape like this they should be uniform.

andrew
millerman

Post by millerman »

Thanks fer the input. I should've stained a bit lighter on this one I think. Also, after the first stain, I noticed a scratch that I tried to get out afterwards. So I may have sanded that area a bit more before hitting it with the next stain. And I did get a few spots that I know of a little heavier. I appreciate your time in looking and critiquing my efforts. I jut visited smokingpipes.com as you instructed, and wow, that was moving. What inspiration that was. Thank you so much fer taking time out of your day fer my pipe. Have a Merry Christmas.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You're welcome. Merry Christmas.

andrew
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool, you have a good start. All you need to do now is make more! :D
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »