Thoughts on artistic style and trade secrets.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d.huber

Re: Thoughts on artistic style and trade secrets.

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:I don't think "trade secrets" has anything to do with this phenomenon. Unless a guy makes a pipe with my hands, using my tools in my shop, it ain't gonna be much like my pipe, really.
This. I recently had a guy buy an estate billiard basket pipe and rusticate it to be like the Moon Rock Rustication I've been doing. It's reminiscent of my finish, but it's not my finish. I think this guy is also a little different because he asked and gave me credit, which is always nice.

I understand the immediate reticence though. It comes down to a question of credit for original work. Unfortunately, there's no stopping people from copying. Just make sure your work, the original, is better than the knock offs.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

I agree with what everyone else has said.

Dan, you make incredible works of art. no ones going to be doing it like you, ever.

however, looking on the Brightside, atleast your work didn't get forged like dunhill's, bo nordh's or s.bang's did. they haven't put your stamp on their work and tried to sell it as if you made it.

evan
meathod

Post by meathod »

Hahah, oh man, these comments are great.

The more I think about it, the better I feel. You can't stop people from copying your style, you can only keep moving forward to stay ahead of the competition.

I've been trying to figure out whether or not I should keep sharing my process photographs.. I've decided that I'll stop explaining my techniques in text, and just show the photographs... and perhaps.. leave out a few key details. Generally, just make it harder for people to duplicate. The idea here would be that if you can understand my process just by looking at the photos, you probably already know more than me, haha. That feels like a good balance.

You guys sure do know how to make a pipe maker feel great! :thumbsup:
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
meathod

Post by meathod »

wisemanpipes wrote:
however, looking on the Brightside, atleast your work didn't get forged like dunhill's, bo nordh's or s.bang's did. they haven't put your stamp on their work and tried to sell it as if you made it.

evan
This is true!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I was recently asked, by a guy at work, to do an Indian peace pipe. I graciously declined as it is not within my desire, or skill, to attempt something like that at this time. But afterwards I sat there and thought that if I were to make such a pipe, how would I go about it? My first thoughts went straight to you and your pipes as a reference. Not that I would classify your work as Native American peace pipes, but a lot of your pipes do remind me of them, at least in their general shape. My point is that you have set a standard that people are starting to look to, and wanting to emulate, and overall I think that is a good thing, as long as they are not committing pipe plagiarism.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

mredmond wrote:Who says love makes sense?
ha!
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

meathod wrote:Hahah, oh man, these comments are great.

The more I think about it, the better I feel. You can't stop people from copying your style, you can only keep moving forward to stay ahead of the competition.

I've been trying to figure out whether or not I should keep sharing my process photographs.. I've decided that I'll stop explaining my techniques in text, and just show the photographs... and perhaps.. leave out a few key details. Generally, just make it harder for people to duplicate. The idea here would be that if you can understand my process just by looking at the photos, you probably already know more than me, haha. That feels like a good balance.

You guys sure do know how to make a pipe maker feel great! :thumbsup:
There is one country that has rules the world of making knock offs of almost everything, from simple to the most complicated electronics. In today's world, if someone wants to copy something, the entire process is at their fingertips on a computer keyboard. All it takes is a little knowledge of how it was made, and some research. The more the person knows the easier it is to come up with answers. If all else fails, they could buy one of yours dissect it and have the answers. But at this point your tutorials have already exposed a lot of your "tricks and secrets" to the world.

The one thing the copiers cannot do it get into your head and predict what masterpiece you will make next. They cannot steal and copy your artistic ability. Some may use your designs as a base, a starting point, but I wouldn't call that copying, they used their ideas to build upon their ideas. Once the photos are put in the public domain, a picture can inspire some to try to match and/or improve on an idea.