a new one even sasquatch might like

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

a new one even sasquatch might like

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I just finished this one today. Pretty happy with it overall. I would like to know what you guys would have changed, other than the flaws in the briar and crooked slot. thanks for looking. Edit: I had some feedback from a member here that the photos didnt show A good profile so I cleaned the lenses and took a few more. BTW the ebonite in question is of japanese origin. I was trying to keep suppliers and manufacturers out of it.

the last picture shows some scratches in the stem. I only have 600 grit right now, need to pick up some finer grades. The main thing I am curious about is the little round bump in the center. there are between 10 and 20 showing on the stem. I left the stem pretty thick, so it isnt the airway showing through. any ideas?
Last edited by Joe Hinkle Pipes on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: a new one even sasquatch might like

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Where did you get the stem material?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Looks like an air bubble or an inclusion. I've had what have appeared to be specks of sand and lint in my ebonite before. I've had worse problems with black acrylic. I once made a black acrylic stem that had what appeared to be a small amount of tortoise in one spot. Of course, these things usually don't show up until you're near final shape. Murphy's Law.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks I have had these inclusions on other stems of the same material. I scratched the top of one with a knife and uncovered a speck of white material. I guess its time to go back to the german stuff. BTW Wayne, would this pipe have been better off as a blast? It has some flaws and prominent ring grain. I ask because I might send some pipes out in a batch to be blasted, but being finished already im not sure if it would be worth it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I would blast that pipe, yeah.

Shaping wise, I like the bowl and the transition into the bottom of the bowl shape works, delineates the dublin shape well. The shank is a slow curve on the bottom, no matching curve on the top, so that's the only thing that draws my eye - is it a straight bent shank or a curved bent shank? Neither, and therefore it could have been better (in one direction or the other).

Could be inclusions in the ebonite, could be damage from sanding or buffing - if you have stuff built up in your paper it can kind of crunch the softer ebonite - I am finding this with the current stuff I have (SEM I think?) and I don't like it at all. It's filling my sandpaper, filling my files, and seems not to buff as well either because of it or .. soemthing. I dunno, but I'm not liking the product compared to the NYH stuff I'm used to.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks sasquatch. A it just looked like the kind of pipe you like to make. I see what you mean about the curves. Something I didnt notice on my own. I may have it blasted, I think that may mask the curve issue and definitely hide the pits. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. One more question. Should I sand wmdown to bare wood and restain? Or let the blaster blast the current finish and stain when it comes back?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just blast 'er. Wax don't stand a chance!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:
The shank is a slow curve on the bottom, no matching curve on the top, so that's the only thing that draws my eye - is it a straight bent shank or a curved bent shank? Neither, and therefore it could have been better (in one direction or the other).
I agree with Sas (gasp!), however, I would say the bottom line is the one to go with. A nice, elegant curve on the top would make for a very attractive flow in the shank and stem. I would disagree about the heel though; I would round it out just a bit so it's not quite as pronounced. Not a critical point though.

Your stem/shank junction needs a bit of attention. If you could sand and buff them together/more that would be helpful.

Shame about the flaws, but it's still a nice pipe.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks Ernie, I appreciate the critique. Im still having a tough time getting the stem face square to the tenon on the wood lathe. I can get a good fit, but leave a swirly scored up stem face. Or i can polish the stem face and lose the fit. Just cant get it right. I am sending this pipe out tomorrow to be blasted so maybe i can get the joint a little tighter first.