1st Pipe - Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jpkulp

1st Pipe - Billiard

Post by jpkulp »

My first pipe - made from a kit from Mark Tinsky at the American Smoking Pipe Co. Critiques appreciated.
IMG_20140213_181131.jpg
(193.43 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
IMG_20140213_182202.jpg
(176.19 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
IMG_20140213_182354.jpg
(206.13 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
jpkulp

Re: 1st Pipe - Billiard

Post by jpkulp »

IMG_20140213_182458.jpg
(220.31 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
IMG_20140213_182628.jpg
(220.03 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
IMG_20140213_182837.jpg
(237.37 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Looks good to me. I just finished what I believe will be my last kit from mark and am waiting for blocks and stems from him. One step at a time for me. Did you have fun making it?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's not the worst Dublin I've ever seen. The most glaring area for improvement is the bulging shank. If you're limited on tools and funds for tools, a flat file works relatively well. You want the shank to taper subtly from the bowl to the end of the stem. Also, make sure you shape the shank and stem with the stem attached so you don't get gaps between the shank and stem.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jpkulp

Post by jpkulp »

Thank you for the critique, Wayne. You are spot on! It is Dubliny - slightly tapered bowl, wider at the top than at the bottom (by 2mm actually). I probably would not have realized that on my own. Reading the typical description of a billiard doesn't really key you into these subtlies of the shape:

"The billiard is characterized by a fairly cylindrical bowl, canted very slightly forward, with a round shank, roughly as long as the bowl is tall..."

With that description in mind, I carved the bowl into a cylinder (basically a poker) and then rounded off the heel. By simply removing material at the bottom at that point I inadvertantly created the taper.

I knew the shank would have issues from the rough in stage. I used a hacksaw to remove the large chuncks that needed to come off the block. I removed too much from the top of the shank at that point (actually made the top of shank lower then the top of the stem). It was a struggle to get the shank & stem into acceptable alignment from then on. I believe it was also the stress from the hacksaw that caused the crack on the right side between the shank and bowl (can be seen in the 3rd & 5th photos).

Anyway the reminder that the goal for the shank is a gentle taper from bowl to button will be helpful. The difficulty I've had with shank & stem on this first pipe has left me a little apprehensive about the next. Maybe using a flat file as you suggest will help.

Anyone see any issues with my finishing? I used Feibings leather dye - dark brown 1st to pull out contrast in the grain; followed by Cordovan and finished with light brown. I sanded between each dye finishing with 1000 grit. Then buffed with brown tripoli, white diamond, carnuba and a clean soft buff.

Thanks,
Jesse
Gethenet

Post by Gethenet »

Do you have a web addy of where you got this kit? I would like to look into getting one
Thanks