Edit: bent dublin blasted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Edit: bent dublin blasted

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I finished staining and buffing the dublin that Wiseman pipes blasted for me. It had some ring grain, you may be able to see if you look close. I stained it black, rubbed back the high spots, and topcoated red. That isn't at all obvious because I dont know what I'm doing. The red shows up on the shank ring and thats about it. I still like the way it turned out. I wouldn't bother the person who ends up with it. It just looks like an evil pipe.
edit: so here are the new photos. I didnt edit out the sticky prop and didnt color balance or crop the pictures to the same size. but here they are anyway.
Last edited by Joe Hinkle Pipes on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: bent dublin blasted

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

From what I can tell this is a pretty nice pipe- more angles would be helpful- top, bottom, front, back, and maybe a 3/4 view. What I can see right off the back, is if you canted the bowl slightly forward you could achieve a bit more elegance in your form. As is the design feels a bit stiff. More English for sure.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9082#p86499
there are more pictures here before it was blasted. My girlfriend jacked up my camera settings and I didnt realize it until I went in to edit the photos. the new ones are all pretty bad. I had to bring up the brightness and lost a lot of detail in the process.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

man! what happened to the ring grain on that guy! it was bananas. I think that was the side with a little bit of fallout if I remember. get that camera back up and running!!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

i was being sarcastic. The camera did kind of wash out the ring, but trust me. its there. I have about an hour to kill all of the sudden. I'll try to get some better pics
Sasquatch

Re: Edit: bent dublin blasted

Post by Sasquatch »

100% improvement!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks Sas! I Just replied to your message. My pipes have been picked up by a website. Im excited.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

the new pics are awesome Joe! its a great pipe! nice work. btw how was finishing it? any trouble? did you figure out your own methods? :lol:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I figured out what you meant by letting the pipe fully dry before buffing. It ended up with a white cotton beard. lol I thought i would be able to get a black with red highlights, but the red just ended up super dark and indistinguishable from black. I still like the way it turned out its very dark and evil looking. Finishing a blast is much less stressful than finishing A smooth. No sanding marks to worry about, no blotchy stain problems, no "why wont this buff to a shine like the last pipe!!???" even though nothing changed in your setup, and no dents from bouncing it off of the lathe ways. ( yeah I made a really amazing magnetic pad that covers the ways, but the last 4 pipes I have forgotten to use it and ruined 2)
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Solomon_pipes wrote:I figured out what you meant by letting the pipe fully dry before buffing. It ended up with a white cotton beard. lol I thought i would be able to get a black with red highlights, but the red just ended up super dark and indistinguishable from black. I still like the way it turned out its very dark and evil looking. Finishing a blast is much less stressful than finishing A smooth. No sanding marks to worry about, no blotchy stain problems, no "why wont this buff to a shine like the last pipe!!???" even though nothing changed in your setup, and no dents from bouncing it off of the lathe ways. ( yeah I made a really amazing magnetic pad that covers the ways, but the last 4 pipes I have forgotten to use it and ruined 2)
HAHA yeah man, shellac is a tricky bitch. I learned it the hard way after finishing a dunhill refurb and then getting all the white trip stuck in the cracks, unable to get them out... aweful!

I would suggest if you want red high lights then stain it one coat of black then take methyl hydrate and lightly wipe down the pipe once over. then dilute your red or ox blood stain heavily and put the top coat on in one pass. seal with the shellac as noted.

That is one of the reasons I love blasts. not only are they beautiful to look at, but a welldone blast only requires you sand upto 120-150. and like you mentioned don't have to worry about blotchiness, bleeding, dents or scratches.

it also smokes cooler to the touch, which is nice.

can you tell I love blasted pipes?! this one is no exception. :D
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I love blasts too. A blast setup is probably my next investment. I would love a metal lathe, but the benefits of that are very few compared to what you get if you can blast any pipe with questionable grain. I think about 90% of what i have made so far should have been blasted.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Very nice, I'm liking blasts more and more.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Nice pipe.
Best regards.
Félix

Bonita pipa.
Saludos.
Félix