Artisan pipe cases

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaninDayton

Artisan pipe cases

Post by DaninDayton »

Inspired by the beautiful work by Walt Comoy, in his meerschuam billiard and case, got me rethinking making custom hard pipe cases. I've thought about it for a long time and I think that I have come up with a way to do them.

They would be made to a specific pipe. With whatever custom touches the customer would wish.

The questions that I have are, is there a market for them? What would be the price point that would be acceptable?
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
pipedreamer

Re: Artisan pipe cases

Post by pipedreamer »

Got to think on that one.Sounds good, lets see what the consensus of the Forum says. :whisper:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I forgot! Yes, Walt is inspiring. :notworthy:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

DaninDayton wrote:Inspired by the beautiful work by Walt Comoy...
You're number 999,708.

The millionth person to call me "Comoy" wins a free tin of Royal Yacht!

:lol:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

DaninDayton wrote: The questions that I have are, is there a market for them? What would be the price point that would be acceptable?
im sure if you make it, they will come and buy it. usually people who are buying a pipe case would be someone who owns few pipes of high value and is anal retentive about dings and dents. I have 4 meers that all have cases and as soon as I got them, the cases went into a box and I just chuck around the pipes. pipes are things to smoke from and if you are using a pipe for its actual purpose and not as a sculpture piece, its bound to get a scratch or ding anyway.

id suggest, make a few and see what happens to your demand.
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

Had the damn message in front of me and still mispelled it. My apologies Mr. Connoy. I don't like Royal Yacht anyway, and I still like your work.

wisemanpipes
I am thinking along the same lines. I couldn't find a case for one of my meers if I had to.
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

DaninDayton wrote:My apologies Mr. Connoy.
Keep trying. You're getting closer! :wink:
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

WCannoy wrote:
DaninDayton wrote:Inspired by the beautiful work by Walt Comoy...
You're number 999,708.

The millionth person to call me "Comoy" wins a free tin of Royal Yacht!

:lol:
Comoy +292 = tin of royal yacht.

Sent from my banana phone.
meathod

Post by meathod »

This is something I've been thinking about for quite some time as well.

The problems that I've encountered is that if you want the pipe and case to feel harmonious, you'll have to put just as much effort and skill into the case crafting as you put into the pipe, or the case will just look rather cheap.

This equates to sometimes spending almost just as much time on the case as you did the pipe! At least, until you really get the hang of your new skills.

So, you need to market the combination as a necessary package, and think about the pipe and case as one, and not separate. It adds a whole new element to your design process.

It's a bit like making a pipe with a bamboo shank. The quality and shape of the bamboo is just as important as the briar.

So, be prepared to raise your final price quite a lot for the pair, and figure out how to make that price seem fair to buyers who, in todays market, might not fully understand or appreciate the effort put into the case.

That said, I think that cases are a great idea, they give a pipe a home. Someone who doesn't have a large collection, or a pipe cabinet, would definitely benefit from a case I think. And those who hike and travel a lot with their pipe, will greatly appreciate it.

I think that it also gives you more freedom to express your creative intentions. There are design elements that may look out of place on a pipe, but would be perfectly suited to a case, such as engravings, inlays, carvings, etc.

If you look at Japanese kiseru pipes, they were often paired with a custom fitted case. The cases were equal in quality, and even today they may be more sought after than the pipes themselves!

Please let us know how it all goes!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

meathod
I am not a pipe maker. I am a designer of various things and wouldn't ever be on the level of the masters here. So, I'm not going to try. I am a pipe smoker and accumulator of tobacco pipes. Sometimes I feel the need to carry a pipe were it might get damaged. I would like something to protect it. Sometimes a leather sock just isn't enough.
Each case will be custom fitted to the pipe, like the cases my meers came in, that I can't find. That means I have to have the pipe in hand for a couple of days (however long it takes to make the case).
I have done projects that have all the design elements that you are suggesting and intend to implement them in my pipe cases.

Thank you for your valued comments.
Anyone else? Thank you in advance.
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I think you should do it.
Make a few and see how long it takes, what the material costs are, and come up with an acceptable dollar per hour figure for yourself.
I think if you could make them from $75-$∞ you could do well for yourself.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com