My Second Pipe ... Poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mrsmitty

My Second Pipe ... Poker

Post by mrsmitty »

My second pipe and first poker. The briar was a seconds and had a crack but thankfully after turning the bowl down the crack didn't go to deep. No flaws in the briar.

Ocelot55

Re: My Second Pipe ... Poker

Post by Ocelot55 »

I must say, that turned out pretty nice. The lines are still a little wonky, but shoot, for number two that's great.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Great job for pipe #2.I love the belt sander.Make more pipes.Don't skip sanding stages, 180 220 you get it.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

nice job for #2! where did you get that stem material? it looks like bakelite with nice swirling but im assuming its acrylic.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

You are definitely headed in the right direction, keep it up.
A word of caution on your chuck jaws. Since you are using standard jaws be very careful and make sure the block is well clamped or you might get a nasty surprise. If you scroll thru the pics on this sight you will see other chuck/jaw set-ups. They will normally a lot taller, flat and have pivot screws in them so that the stummel can be rotated on the tobacco hole/airway junction thereby insuring that the two line up properly.
Like they say, now go make some more.
Chas.
mrsmitty

Post by mrsmitty »

Stem material is indeed acrylic from http://pipemakers.org/acrylic_naturals.html

Also, I made sure to tighten the jaws as tight as I could. Once I can afford it I'll get a better chuck setup.

Thanks for the responses.

-Josh
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

TRENT RUDAT is where I got mine, they are worth their weight in gold, others are Smokin Dawg and the others are listed.Don't go cheap.The surprise mentioned can hurt a lot if you are lucky.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool for a 2nd, make more!