Apple Nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jthompson1995

Apple Nosewarmer

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Here's my first nosewarmer and first saddle stem. Greek briar, green & black Cumberland stem. Total length is just shy of 4".

I'm still figuring out the staining and this was one of the first I stained so I is blotchy. Also got carried away on the lathe, that's why the bowl/shank transition is so sharp. I realized later that I should have done that on the saddle as well to try to match. Too late now, though.

Comments & Critiques welcome.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Josh B.

Re: Apple Nosewarmer

Post by Josh B. »

honestly like a nice sharp transition, maybe not that sharp though. there's a bit of inconsistency in the line on the top of the shank but other than that the shape and flow is nice. the bowl especially is very nicely shaped
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Thanks. I see the wiggle in the top line now.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The proportions don't look like a nose warmer. Not that it's wrong, but It just looks like a well-proportioned brandy. I think the bowl isn't quite round enough for an apple. About a half inch shorter stem would make it look like a nose warmer. But it's a nice pipe. And I do like the crisp line between shank and stem. Everybody has to try that at least once.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com