KC carving contest judge change

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

KC carving contest judge change

Post by LatakiaLover »

For the last few years, eminent pipe collector, tobacco expert, book author, and magazine columnist extraordinaire Tad Gage served on the judging panel of the GKCPC North American Pipe Carving Contest with distinction. Personal considerations (a planned house closing/move sort of thing, if memory serves) will be taking too big of a bite out of his summer for him to guarantee his return in 2014, however.

So, for the past few weeks Quinton and I went on a judge hunt to find a replacement for Tad. Since the GKCPC takes the contest very seriously, and the entrants put in many hundreds of hours of work collectively, a placeholder would not do. We wanted someone of personal substance and vast experience who shared our obsession with absolute objectivity and the Pursuit of Perfection. Someone who was highly respected in the PipeWorld by both collectors and carvers, and had unimpeachable character and integrity in the real world.

We found exactly what we were looking for. :D

He needs no introduction. Not just in North America, but anywhere in the world that fine pipes are collected or made.

Adam Davidson. :rockon:

How cool is that? :thumbsup:
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Re: KC carving contest judge change

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well, at least I won't have to compete with him. :mrgreen:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Aww man! Now NOBODY is going to win! :lol:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Aww man! Now NOBODY is going to win! :lol:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I think Adam is a perfect addition to the judging panel. This competition has always been a real proving ground and now that Adam is on the panel, I have no doubt that everyone will step up their game even further.

Great choice!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Woohoo, glad I don't get to enter now ;)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

It looks like "enthusiasm leavened with a bit of trepidation" best summarizes the collective mood.

In other words, we picked exactly the right guy. :lol:

The idea since its inception was to make the contest the opposite of those feelgood county fairs where the mayor's niece, or the daughter of the biggest car dealer in the state "wins" the beauty pageant. We want winning to actually mean something in the PipeWorld. The addition of Adam to the mix just turns up the heat a bit. I've watched Adam critique a pipe. He misses nothing.

Please keep in mind that ONLY the pipe entered is taken into consideration. A carver's reputation, previous body of work, how long he's been at it, and so forth are completely ignored, if indeed the maker of the pipe is known at all (as much as is practical & possible, the judging is blind.)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Now I'm definitely going to enter. I want to know everything that's wrong with my work so I can fix it. And it's nice to have one fewer competitors... :-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

LatakiaLover wrote:It looks like "enthusiasm leavened with a bit of trepidation" best summarizes the collective mood.

In other words, we picked exactly the right guy. :lol:

The idea since its inception was to make the contest the opposite of those feelgood county fairs where the mayor's niece, or the daughter of the biggest car dealer in the state "wins" the beauty pageant. We want winning to actually mean something in the PipeWorld. The addition of Adam to the mix just turns up the heat a bit. I've watched Adam critique a pipe. He misses nothing.

Please keep in mind that ONLY the pipe entered is taken into consideration. A carver's reputation, previous body of work, how long he's been at it, and so forth are completely ignored, if indeed the maker of the pipe is known at all (as much as is practical & possible, the judging is blind.)
I have a question about our stamp and nomenclature. Should we not stamp the pipe? I know I stamped last years entry, and I know it had absolutely nothing to do with judges opinions. But I'm assuming they saw it, or it was covered? If it was covered then does that effect any perception on the ashthetics?
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

N.Burnsworth wrote:
I have a question about our stamp and nomenclature. Should we not stamp the pipe? I know I stamped last years entry, and I know it had absolutely nothing to do with judges opinions. But I'm assuming they saw it, or it was covered? If it was covered then does that effect any perception on the ashthetics?
No worries, just send it as you would any other pipe. No special prep necessary. We'll take care of the rest.
andrew

Post by andrew »

LatakiaLover wrote:
N.Burnsworth wrote:
No worries, just send it as you would any other pipe. No special prep necessary. We'll take care of the rest.
They just grind it off with a dremel :)

andrew
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

andrew wrote: They just grind it off with a dremel :)
Of course we don't. That's just silly.

We use a smear of acid blood from the xenomorph Alien we keep in the basement.
andrew

Post by andrew »

:)

andrew
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
andrew wrote: They just grind it off with a dremel :)
Of course we don't. That's just silly.

We use a smear of acid blood from the xenomorph Alien we keep in the basement.
Damnit George....now everyone knows how I sandblast my pipes :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com