Billiard questions

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Re: Billiard questions

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote: There is one excellent reason: If the mortise is not co-axial with the shank, the stem will have an "elbow" at the shank/stem joint. Though the angle can be removed externally when shaping so the profile looks good, the visible line on the outside of the pipe made by the shank/stem joint will forever be cockeyed. This looks like absolute, utter, complete, and total shit.
This is why I was saying that a two-axis mortise/airway is acceptable on a bent pipe (And why, when I do make a bent pipe, I apply said methodology.) I just think that straight pipes with a single axis from the bottom of the chamber through the end of the mouthpiece will have better (if only marginally) smoking characteristics.

The reason I even brought this up is that I've heard a few fans of Will Purdy's pipes say that they achieve a greater level of smoking quality even among artisians. I want to say I read it on Neill's blog, but I can't seem to find the article. So I read as much as I could about Will to see what might be different that could make his pipes stand out to collectors as superb smoking instruments. The only thing I could find was the single-axis drilling. I intend to ask him more at the show, but this is the only thing that makes sense to me so far.
You are a bright, talented guy and obviously care about making good pipes. You also obviously read a lot. As in, the Internet a lot. :lol:

The Internet is a wondrous thing for too many reasons to list. It also has downsides. One of them is its ridiculous efficiency at exploiting one of Mankind's fundamental weaknesses---his reflex to believe The Loudest Message.

All the old timers here---the pros---know how "Internet Logic" works when it comes to making pipes, and most of them have given up trying to fight it. It's been that way for a while now, and is why many of them don't come around anymore. (Lots of heat gets generated but little light when such things are discussed, and in the meantime there are pipes to be made.)

I think you'll find the best way to figure out what actually IS, as opposed to something just being the Loudest Message, is to simply make more pipes, tweaking things here and there and experimenting along the way. After a while you will have first-hand experience with all of it, and will know. (Notice I didn't say, "you can then decide for yourself", because there are no decisions to be made. Things either are, or they aren't.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

sandahlpipe wrote:
The reason I even brought this up is that I've heard a few fans of Will Purdy's pipes say that they achieve a greater level of smoking quality even among artisians.
Over time you will find that a few fans of any artisan's pipes will say the very same thing. It's because they are fans of that guy's pipes. :wink:

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yup.

And anyone who does something for a particular reason will find someone who buys the pipes for that reason, because they like that reason. Some guys oil cure, some guys air cure, some guys cut wide open drafts some guys cut restricted ones. And it's ALL just fine!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: And it's ALL just fine!
Mr. Sunshine and Rainbows today aren't you ? What next, you gonna teach the world to sing in perfect harmony ?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Always been this way, just sometimes people misinterpret me.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:Always been this way, just sometimes people misinterpret me.
Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odjv4V6alUQ

All he wanted to do was make friends with the chicken. :(
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL that's the time Scottie figured she'd prank me. Showed her a good time. :lol:
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey so I am still in my first year of making pipes. But, driving today I was thinking about this thread. I am a little confused about a draft hole in a bent stem causing a pressure drop at the bottom of the mortise.

Here is my question. Doesn't the bit that the mortise is drilled with have a taper on the end? And don't most guys reverse taper the end of the tenon? Would those two together creat a pressure drop at the bottom of the mortise anyway? How much more could a third angle draft hole with a taper at the bottom of the mortise and a reverse taper on the end of the tenon than a straight draft hole be?
Please excuse me if I am not understanding the fluid dynamics involved here.

Sent from my banana phone.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The specific thing I was thinking of is that on bent pipes, if the airway isn't in the exact center of the mortise hole, some pipe makers will make a "ramp" to allow a pipe cleaner to pass.

I don't know upon further reflection that it will amount to a noticeable difference in smoking quality. It is, however, a factor that I think is worth wrestling with if for no other reason than that thinking about engineering is the best way to ensure that you will have good engineering.

I've actually considered whether it's a good idea to taper the inside of the tenon for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:The specific thing I was thinking of is that on bent pipes, if the airway isn't in the exact center of the mortise hole, some pipe makers will make a "ramp" to allow a pipe cleaner to pass.

I don't know upon further reflection that it will amount to a noticeable difference in smoking quality. It is, however, a factor that I think is worth wrestling with if for no other reason than that thinking about engineering is the best way to ensure that you will have good engineering.

I've actually considered whether it's a good idea to taper the inside of the tenon for this very reason.
The main reason for a pipe maker to worry about "good engineering" is because the people who buy high grade pipes today---his potential customers---want and EXPECT to see flawless "calculation" and workmanship inside and out. Without it, they won't buy.

I'm 100% fine with that for many reasons. I personally prefer it to be the situation, in fact.

BUT... it does not follow that a pipe with perfectly executed internals will necessarily smoke better than a sloppily-drilled pipe that lacks carefully calculated tapers, funnels, and dead air spaces. That has been demonstrated countless times. Indeed, until fairly recently such objective measures didn't even exist, meaning 99.99% of all the pipe bowls ever smoked by humans were smoked in casually-drilled & joined pipes, and (by definition) comprise 100% of the classic, vintage, and antique pipes that collectors fight over today.

If that state of affairs causes cognitive dissonance in yer brayne, welcome to Planet Earth. The short answer is that there are many satisfactions other than taste and smell which comprise pipe smoking and collecting, and the Placebo Effect is one of them along withe order, artistry, technical brilliance, and pride of ownership.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

E.L.Cooley wrote:Hey so I am still in my first year of making pipes. But, driving today I was thinking about this thread. I am a little confused about a draft hole in a bent stem causing a pressure drop at the bottom of the mortise.

Here is my question. Doesn't the bit that the mortise is drilled with have a taper on the end? And don't most guys reverse taper the end of the tenon? Would those two together creat a pressure drop at the bottom of the mortise anyway? How much more could a third angle draft hole with a taper at the bottom of the mortise and a reverse taper on the end of the tenon than a straight draft hole be?
Please excuse me if I am not understanding the fluid dynamics involved here.

The working assumption is that a smooth tube from bowl to button would be ideal. This is attainable or nearly so on most ordinary shapes and probably bent pipes up to maybe 1/2 bent (call that 45 degrees). Airway dead centered in the mortise and not egg-shaped because it's at a hugely obtuse angle to the mortise floor. After that, you are in compromise territory, trying to keep the airflow smooth even though things aren't lining up. How you accomplish this is what making these shapes is all about.

Truth is, every pipe that isn't fit to 1/1000th of an inch and then glued together permanently is a compromise of ideal dynamics. If you build a pipe with the tenon bottoming out, a month or a year from now the thing will show a gap at the stem/shank transition most likely, either from briar movement or junk build up. So there's always SOME space, and funneling the tenon seems to help a lot with any amount of space. Get the smoke from the bowl to the button!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Thanks sas, this makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time.

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You guys are really over thinking this shit ;)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:You guys are really over thinking this shit ;)

SSSSShhhhhhhhhh... they're having fun. :lol:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I would've chimed in sooner- but I've been really busy making pipes- I agree with Sas and Chris and George. Oh, and IAWR!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Oh, and IAWR!
I finally figured out what this is.

It's the Yeti war cry!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard