What to do in a pipe making lesson?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
caskwith

What to do in a pipe making lesson?

Post by caskwith »

If you were to give someone a lesson in a pipe making, what would you so with them? What things would you show them/let them do to so that they get an idea of what pipe making is like and you get to see how they cope with the tool/processes?

Assume for the answer that you have a full workshop at your disposal.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: What to do in a pipe making lesson?

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

It depends on what the goal is. If it is a one time "this is how its done" for general knowledge I would push them through the process by setting up each step, but not necessarily instructing the why its done this way. Lay the block out,help chuck the block, let them turn a little, finish turning myself, let them drill a little, finish drilling myself. ect maybe let the choose the stain and stem material. Basically take a easy straight pipe and let them have hands on on most of the process, but not spend a lot of time explaining the steps. This is assuming they arent interested in being a pipe maker and just want to see/be involved in the process.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The first rule of all successful instruction: know your audience

Are you doing a 3-minute TV spot for the general public? Have twenty minutes to show a group of ten year olds around your shop? Have been called as a courtroom expert on the subject? Your best friend's brother wants to be a pipe maker and would like to give one a try?

One of the biggest need-to-knows is your audience's experience with tools and how much they've worked with their hands.

More information, please.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Ok got one person who wants to have a go at making a pipe, likely no interest in going further than that. That one is pretty straight forward as my intention is to make a pipe while watched and after doing each step, get them to do the same until we have essentially a pipe kit, then show them how to shape and let them have at it.

The other person is looking to get into a bit of pipe dabbling, not necessarily full on pipe making but wants to see the steps, have a go see how they get on and enjoy it (or not). Both people have some tools experience but not in pipe making tools which really are quite different to what most people are used.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

In both cases I'd insist that they simply watch and ask questions as I made one. Such a demo would show them "the point on the horizon toward which they are steering" so that the Big Picture is clear, and let you quickly assess their level of knowledge & (likely) corresponding skill with tools along the way.

Where you'd go next would pretty much define itself.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Solomon_pipes wrote: Basically take a easy straight pipe and let them have hands on on most of the process, but not spend a lot of time explaining the steps.
I'd do exactly that kind of thing - that's how I was introduced to pipemaking and it worked very well for me.

One of the advantages of doing it that way is that at the end of the day the "student" will have a finished pipe that isn't as ugly as it would be if he was allowed to do everything himself with a lot of verbal explanations.

Doing everything yourself in a demonstration mode won't be as satisfying for the "student" as letting him take part in each process.

I think the most important factor is not whether the "student" has any experience with tools, but rather whether he has any knowledge of pipes- knowing the basic shapes, being familiar with all the elements of a briar pipe, having a basic understanding of what's important in a good smoking pipe, at least from a smoker's perspective would be an important basis for learning.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great comments so far.

I'd consider a combination of what's been recommended so far.

I would invite them in and give them a tour of the shop. Show them the tools you use most often with a brief explanation of what they do and why you use them, show them the areas you spend the most time in and what you do there, and give them a general run-down on the process.

Have each of them purchase 1 or 2 blocks of briar from you (or whoever) and donate a pre-fab stem or two to the lesson so that they have materials to play with.

Try to take them through a pipe from start to finish (if you have the time). For every step, you start the process and teach them what you're doing then, if you're comfortable with their ability and understanding of that task, let them step in after watching for a few minutes so they can get some hands on time.

If they're just some guys who've contacted you, I would seriously consider charging them a small fee for your time. Schedule a time with them once a week for a month to make sure they get enough time with you to finish a pipe.

I'd suggest something like this:

Lesson 1: 1 hr long - full tour and explanation of tools and processes
Lesson 2: Shaping and drilling
Lesson 3: Cutting and fitting a hand-made stem
Lesson 4: Finishing

Setting up formal expectations like this will make teaching the lessons easier and will give them some real expectations about what they'll learn and what they'll accomplish in their time with you.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Another thing to consider is liability. I wouldn't let anyone use the tools in my shop unless I know they know how to safely use them and even still I'd hesitate. For that reason, I would go George's route in letting them observe you making a pipe. They can get hands on on their own time and with their own tools. I would make exception for someone I know well and trust.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Chris, I have been teaching for almost 20 years now, and the advice to "know your audience" from George is spot on. I have already had four or five people in my shop to learn the process from my pipe club. One kid is (was) thinking about doing it full time, and the rest were just casually curious. So the process I show them gets tailored to the level of interest/commitment.

Wayne makes a very good point about liability. I tell people I am covered (and I am, since I am set up with my insurance as a teaching facility) but that the first paragraph in my coverage says if someone gets hurt I have to drag the body over the property line and swear I never saw them before. :twisted: That usually gets their attention.

Now if I can learn to make pipes, I will really be onto something. :lol:

ETA: I will show people parts of the process as described above, but if they have the time and seem really interested, I will let them take a whack at some things. But I am used to hovering over beginners who have never held a tool in their life, ready to snatch it away if need be to save their skin and my livelihood.
buster

Post by buster »

You could tell all of us how to do that awesome white stain.