How important is the Chicago show?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
DeflictedPipes

How important is the Chicago show?

Post by DeflictedPipes »

I see you all cramming for Chicago and it made me curious about how important it is. Is this like black
Friday for you guys? Or are you networking for potential sales later in the year? I've never been to the show but I've been reading about it for years.
Mike
Sasquatch

Re: How important is the Chicago show?

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the importance of this show or any is dependent on the business model any particular pipe maker has. For me, as a networking tool and as a sales tool, it's utterly irrelevant. I'm nobody, in a crowd of 150 other pipe makers. There's a million people there who don't know who I am and don't care. And that's fine. I am internet and more specifically forum-based, and pipe shows are just a way for me to leave the wife behind and go somewhere and smoke and drink.

For other guys, they are a central platform of recognition, distribution, and clientele-building.

Chicago is too big of a show for some purposes, oddly enough.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I go for enjoyment, because it's close enough to relatives to leave behind the kids and we can each go shopping in our own ways.

Besides that, though, it's important for me, because I can put my pipes in the hands of knowledgeable pipe makers and get an honest critique. Posting pictures is one thing, but you can't see everything if you can't turn it around any which-way.

At some point, I plan to use the show to catch the eye of high grade pipe buyers and establish contacts, but first I've got to improve my work some more.

It's also a great place to look at thousands of pipes in any range. From the best in the world to upstarts like I was last year with a few very sad looking pipes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: There's a million people there who don't know who I am and don't care.
I know who ye are, and don't care.
I go cause its the shit.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Chicago is my life.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I'd like to check it out next year. I am heading to Orlando Friday for my day job. I might have something worth trying to put into someone's hands next year.

Sent from my banana phone.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Is the Super Bowl important to the players?
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Thanks for the comments guys.
E.L.Cooley wrote:I'd like to check it out next year. I am heading to Orlando Friday for my day job. I might have something worth trying to put into someone's hands next year.
I think I'll try and go next year as well. If only to, "leave the wife behind and go somewhere and smoke and drink. " :D
Mike
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

We could split a limo

Sent from my banana phone.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

baweaverpipes wrote:Is the Super Bowl important to the players?
Truth.
The face to face contact with collectors and dealers is invaluable. For pipemakers looking to hit the big time, learning how to interact with customers at a pipe show is must, and there is no better place to have your work looked at.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com