Recommended reading for new carvers & Whippersnappers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Recommended reading for new carvers & Whippersnappers

Post by LatakiaLover »

I saw a table at the Chicago show that was memorable. The pipes on offer were impeccably made---the execution details were absolutely pounded---and their styling was brilliant. A truly balanced 50/50 blend of the best of the early/mid 20th century and today's lightspeed aesthetic.

Their maker is just 33, and he only recently went pro after six years of testing the water and learning his tools.

I went to Google to find some pics of his work for this thread and discovered that someone else got there first. Neill Roan did a blog article about his stuff a year ago. (Thank you Neill! :D ) Keep in mind as you read it and look at the photos that Chris was still an amateur when it was written, and the pipes shown had been made some time before that, because what he is producing today is better still. Some specimens I saw the other day were jaw dropping. Easily the best I've ever seen of their style/class/type (whatever you want to call it).

If you are a new carver or a Whippersnapper who feels conflicted because you are drawn to the classics but think you must produce cutting-edge designs to make a living in the 21st century, there is MUCH to be learned here: 1) Like tuxedos, conservative, brilliantly-well-cut-and-finished pipes never go out of style; and 2) It isn't just old guys like me who appreciate them in print and that's it... they sell. Chris sold all but four of his fifteen pipes by noon Friday, and there were only two left by noon on Sunday. (I'd be surprised if they lasted the rest of the day, but I don't know. I had to leave the show a bit early.)

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... pipes.html
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Recommended reading for new carvers & Whippersnappers

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I spent a lot of time chatting with Chris at the smoking tent- he's an awesome dude, and makes a WONDERFUL pipe! I highly recommend purchasing one of his pipes!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I've been drawn to Chris's work for some time. Highly motivational to another guy who likes classics.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

great attention to detail. So im only 3 more years away from greatness. lol
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I've been following his work on IG for some time. Amazing eye for the classics.
Chas.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

One thing I've found interesting about Chris's work is how definitively "classic" they are and yet I know instantly when I see a pipe if it is one of his or not. I think that demonstrates that even if you're following strict definitions your own style will peak through.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Meeting and speaking with Chris was an absolute pleasure. His pipes were next level.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:...I think that demonstrates that even if you're following strict definitions your own style will peek through.
...I think that demonstrates that even if you're following strict definitions your own style can peek through.

FTFY
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.